several ID questions to ask

hi everyone!

What are the pros and cons of the Industrial Design field? As a designer, what kinds of personal benefits become available to you after you were an intern or entry-level worker?

What current national scene is the networking and opportunity hotspot for professional Industrial designers?

Finally, what design disciplines correlate with ID the most? Graphic Design? Web? Architecture?

Thanks and I look forward to your informative expertise!

PROS: You love what you do.

CONS: No sleep if you’re a good designer. But you get over that if you love
what you do.

I am not saying I am a good designer either. I am surprised I actually have time to answer.

What are the pros and cons of the Industrial Design field?
Pro- you love what you do, Con- highly competive feild which drives down the salaries for entry level positions, everyone thinks they could be a designer if they could only draw, fact is drawing is the easiest part of the job, drawing the right thing on the other hand is freaking hard.

As a designer, what kinds of personal benefits become available to you after you were an intern or entry-level worker? intern- zero
I think one of the cool things about the feild is you can roll in here and typ all kinds of crap, but at the end of the day you are judged by your design work. In general it is the kind of feild where you have to prove yourself and you are only as good as your last production product. The cool thing is it kind of levels the playing feild… if you got skills, people will want you. Specific beni’s vary from job to job, but you can expect to do some traveling and to always be learning.

What current national scene is the networking and opportunity hotspot for professional Industrial designers?
Highly arguable.

Finally, what design disciplines correlate with ID the most? Graphic Design? Web? Architecture?
They work pretty independantly, there is not as much cross over as you would like. Most often the marketing people do the connecting the dots, we are to busy making design happen.