seriously, someone just tell me what to do

I need a little fairy person to sit in my ear (right or left, their choice) and just tell me what to do!!
I have a BFA in sculpture, no design experience other than three years of being buried in clay - oh and a short 2 year jaunt in arch school.
I really think I’d excell at product design - but have no idea where to go from here!
I don’t want to deal w/ the BFA undergrad bull again - taking eng lit and math 101.
I want to design, get my hands, feet and nose wet.
If I go back to school I want a masters.
I don’t want to go to Europe unless the program is worth it.
I don’t know if I should pick a specific id concentration (i.e. trans, lighting, etc) or just go w/ the flow.
Pretty much I just want a cool job, making decent money, and doing something creative that has a purpose other than to “provoke thought”
AM I ASKING TOO MUCH!?
hahahahaha :wink:

I know of people who have finished masters in Law and goes back to school to do undergrad ID. If you really want to do something age isn’t a factor… I guess money is.

If you go back to undergrad, you probably can have a lot of credits transfered, so you won’t spend 4 years again.

I don’t know the possibility of you doing a masters in ID. Call as ask the schools. I don’t think it’s impossible.

I was in your same situation many years ago… BFA in sculpture went back to school for ID.

I got the MFA. I had a tough time finding a job because I didn’t have some of the basic skills needed. You need to draw/sketch your ideas really well in ID. You will not be doing initial idea generation in 3D mock ups. If I had to do it again I might consider doing the undergrad although I don’t regret the research skills I gained from my MFA.

I just went back for graphic design… undergrad. I decided not to get the degree. I needed the education but I did place out of all the basic classes. You will too. They will not make you take 2-D, basic drawing, English lit again. You will have to find other classes to take to make up the required number of credits to graduate.

I highly suggest you visit or call someone at one of the schools you are considering. Talk to them. They will give you a better idea of what you will need to do. This may help you in your decision.

I would also recomend the undergrad rout. You will get the skills you need and with your prior experience you will be able to do it in 2-3 years. If you are going to spend some cash, better to make sure you get your moneys worth my friend.

Most of the 100 or so designers I work with came from one of these programs, all undergrad:

Art Center
University of Cinncinatti
Cleveland Institute of Art
College for Creative Studies

best of luck

“JUST DO IT”