seeking advice....

I graduated in Fashion Design two years ago in Milan. I had a first work experience in Paris. I am currently living a dilemma I imagine all designers go through a one point or another; design I love…but the fashion industry not so much… Although I graduated in Fashion Design I’m discovering I really want to be more in the design/graphic design industry. I don’t want to be “boasty” but I have very good computer skills in general (especially Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator) and learn very quickly. My question is: do you think I can get into a job I really want to do with my current skills of a “fashion designer” and then work my way up (learn on the job) or should I look into doing a course to improve my skills whilst I’m job searching? I know it’s not simple replying without having seen my work but maybe you can give me advice on jobs I may not even know about…

Thanks in advance.

Post some samples of your work, and let’s see what you have…

1. pick a direction. (hardest part. figure it out, hash it out… this, no one can answer except you). Graphic Design however is saturated. More so than fashion design.

2. “My question is: do you think I can get into a job I really want to do with my current skills of a “fashion designer” and then work my way up (learn on the job)” This is what everyone does. I don’t get the question. Do you mean get a graphic design job with a fashion design degree? Of course. Tons of Industrial Designers aren’t Industrial Designing. A lot of them end up Graphic Designing, Web Designing, or coffee baristaing.

3. Portfolio is king. Supercedes what type of school, what type of degree, GPA, etc.

If you’re going to pursue graphic design, go ahead. No need to get another BS in graphic design. Waste. I’m assuming you are artistically and creativly inclined. You can do up a graphic design portfolio worthy of at minimum an internship to get a foot in.

Good luck loser.

geez… you’re advice is okay, but do you have to be a jerk?

you may not be satisfied with my answer nor understand why, but unfortunately, yes.

Thanks for the reply. Jerk or not, it’s advice I’m seeking so whatever helps. Yeah, I realise most designers don’t end up doing the job they studied for…and, in a way, thank God for that. Basically it was the study part I wanted to make my mind up about. I’m building up a better portfolio and will put it online soon.
Do you all send out work examples with your CVs or just CV + cover letter?
“Moo”…?Huh…
I ain’t no loser…not just yet…