seeking advice on strategic design management

hey everybody list as many things as you can that is must as skill set of the person in Strategic Design Management…plz , just do it. lets see how much can we verbalize.

Also suggests what would you like to see in the portfolio of the same.

thank you.

paramtap

Plz just do it?

Why don’t you start.

I’ll start it.

My list:

Grammar
Punctuation
Capitalization
Spelling
Manners
Humility

i can haz design job

lol , actually i m just a engineering student right now… would like to go for design management…

i have no idea , ‘in the woods’ this is just part of finding direction , so asking for starting idea …( and what i get is "
Grammar
Punctuation
Capitalization
Spelling
Manners
Humility " ) …

not funny. :stuck_out_tongue:

It would be funny if you were a native english speaker.

If you are an engineer, why are you looking at design management? There is a whole way of thinking that must be learned to be an effective design manager that is not taught at engineering schools. Also, what year of school are you in? Do you want to change your major?

Good luck!

If not I apologize, though your original post did come off rather demanding.

I concur with Mr-914 and I’ve worked with an engineering manager trying to play this role and it wasn’t pretty…

But, that said, there is a difference between managing Industrial Design vs. managing Design Engineering, so maybe this is more in line with what your interests are?

This isn’t necessarily a skill as it is a “way of thinking”, but one of the foundations of strategic design management is understanding a product’s ecosystem and that means understanding consumers, brand identity, manufacturing constraints, cost, margin, appeal, marketing, packaging, graphics, promotions, the list goes on. In my experience engineers tend to focus on just a few of these, and while they are usually damn good with their focused roles a strategic manager needs to be able to comprehend the “bigger picture”. Some have a natural talent for this, but much of it can be learned, though not as likely within an engineering education.

thats what i m trying to learn whole ‘way of thinking’ .

my teacher used to say ‘if you do one system and cannot do/learn the another one, first one hasn’t done its job’

@mr-914 i m in final year, did my major in Mechatronics system. basically i m looking for some path (no matter how vague). so better to go for Industrial design?

) to develop that thinking ability.

@greenman - thanks for the input, so i would like to learn. whats the first step to learning what you refer to ‘much of it can be learned’ .

thank you.

kind regards,
paramtap

but the thing is beautification of the products isn’t my strong suite , it has to have some impact …
or perhaps i haven’t seen real industrial design, can you recommend some books or sites , articles …

Paramtap: If you are passionate enough to go and study industrial design, I would recommend trying to find a job where you will work with designers. Perhaps someday, you could you lead a design team and participate in design management that way.

So the big question that you have not answered is why Design management, and mostly why “Strategic” Design Management? I am a firm believer that design management is not something that can be taught. It is something you learn through experience. I also get a bit nervous when I read that someone wants to move from one career and become a “Strategic” design leader. This is something that training can help one hone, but only after they understand the business of design, design processes, and how that effects the consumer.

I have worked with people that have tried to go that route without the proper understanding and it is a nightmare. They don’t know how to lead, the business doesn’t believe in them, and it actually ends up hurting the reputation of the ones that are properly trained. So I will go back to my original question…Why Strategic Design Management?

J

Edit: BTW, Punctuation, and typing a well thought out email or message is essential to any professional career. If you want to be taken seriously on these boards and in real life, you might want to change that.

Package- could I ask you (or others) to elaborate on what you see as the “business of design” and “how it effects the user” (I prefer not to use the word consumer).

I aspire to be a design manager or creative director, so I’d like to understand your thoughts. Being aware will help me see opportunities where I can grow.

Understanding of the fundamental business of design. By business of design I mean how long it takes to design and item. What is need in the process. Who is needed in the process. How to give a proper critique. What makes good design and bad design. How to take something from brief to production. How to write a brief. The list could go on and on.

J

I think that, in summary, “much of it can be learned” falls on experience and not necessarily a formal education, that said, a formal Industrial design education can lay the foundation for propelling one into a strategic design management position.

In general (in the U.S. at least) it is foolhardy for a new graduate to expect to move right into a design management position, let alone a strategic one, unless you find a very non-risk averse organization that seeks to leverage young talent into such a position.

I feel that experience is the foundation for any type design strategy position. Completing a degree program does a few key things. Provides you with hopefully a higher level view point, a common language spoken in business, and the proof that you understand the concepts and potential applications. Understanding without intimate knowledge of how to execute in my world is troubling.

I feel we are at a very dangerous time in the corporate world with regards to higher education. To be clear I support higher education and continuous learning of all types. I feel the danger is in the fact there are not many jobs currently and allot of new entry’s to the work force. A big enough problem but, when coupled with advanced degrees we run the risk of new entries to the work force with a high level view point and no practical experience to base that high level view on. Unfortunately the view point is academic in nature and does not translate well without real world practical experience.

I see this allot with MBA’s. A great knowledge and understanding of idyllic corporate conditions but a true inability to understand the nitty gritty details needed to run a business due to a lack of professional experience. Since the economy is soft most companies internally are not growing rapidly [broad generalization] which results in a consolidation of roles not necessarily additional roles where this education can be fully utilized. This means more tactical responsibilities for current employees not strategic growth opportunities. This is a recipe for disaster because now you have a tremendous amount of high level strategist in positions that requires experience and insight in order to execute.

Not really sure how this relates to the original post just my take on what is being talked about…

Moral of the story learn by doing get the degree when it is required to make the next step.

c2c

thanks i learned so much .

kind regards to all those who commented of NOW and Future.

Paramtap