School Project: Wooden Bike Feedback Welcomed

Im 18 years old and this is the product of my final year of design technology at school before hopefully going to university to study product design or computer aided product design.

I posted a design sketch for this project in the doodling section a while back so thought I would share the finished piece.

Any thoughts or views you have I would love to hear!!

Thanks, Hope you like it!!
bike2.jpg
bike1.jpg

What you’ve done, especially at 18 before going to uni, is somewhat impressive.

My biggest critique would be of the parts you chose to use to finish off the frame. I would suggest, if possible, changing the hardware to something significantly simpler… a single speed gear set, solid front fork, road bike tires, etc.

You’ve got a form that is approaching elegance, but the “ruggedness” of the mountain bike parts you’ve used are competing with it heavily.

Also, it may help to have a better backdrop for pictures when you put this into a portfolio: A large brick wall with a pavement or concrete ground plane, a temporary photo studio in your house with some old white bed sheets and some floor lamps, or even just some white walls might work better.

I echo the same comments above. And I’ll add a few of my own.

-Why go with a dirt jumping frame?

-How about some trick hardware to for cable stops so you don’t run full housing.

• I’d like to see the seat post area refined a bit. You’ve chosen a very graceful/slender saddle, and it just appears to be perched on top of a wood block.

• I’d also like to see a bit more integration between your dropout/disc brake boss and the frame. Right now it looks a bit like an after thought.

In all though, as was said previously, nice work for where you are in the game. I expect you’ll have a more refined version of this in a few years…

Hi guys, firstly thanks for the comments
second down to answering some questions!!

Why go with a dirt jumping frame?

-How about some trick hardware to for cable stops so you don’t run full housing.

• I’d like to see the seat post area refined a bit. You’ve chosen a very graceful/slender saddle, and it just appears to be perched on top of a wood block.

• I’d also like to see a bit more integration between your dropout/disc brake boss and the frame. Right now it looks a bit like an after thought.

My biggest critique would be of the parts you chose to use to finish off the frame. I would suggest, if possible, changing the hardware to something significantly simpler… a single speed gear set, solid front fork, road bike tires, etc.

You’ve got a form that is approaching elegance, but the “ruggedness” of the mountain bike parts you’ve used are competing with it heavily

The 2 main points I will make are that the project was made on somewhat of a tight budget so the parts available were restricted to what I had lying around (eg my old bike) this restricted me to mountain bike components and fairly beefy ones at that, ideally I would like to have gone as you’ve both mentioned with more elegant components and a more road orientated style bike.

The next point is the time restriction, ok this is really an excuse, but I didn’t leave myself enough time to properly finish the bike how I wanted. the original plan was to shape the centre post making it slimmer and less “post” like, also the integration of the drop-outs could definitely have been prettier given more time!!

This is my starting point, I love bikes and hopefully this will take me a step closer to a career in that area!

How does the fork secure to your frame? Is there a headtube fastened in there some how?

It is secure … for now!! the tube is held in with the strongest epoxy I could find, which is fine for the 50m or so the bike is likely to be ridden. For a more ridable frame i made a design for some plates integrated into the curves of the frame the would also be welded onto the tube

very ambitious for a pre college project for sure… the “eye” form of the frame doesn’t match the “2x4” form of the seat post or the tubes of the front suspension… try to unify everything so it looks like it came from one single thought… if that makes sense?

Yikes.

or you could press fit a headset into a machined out area in the wood. Of course that would most likely loosen up over time and destroy the frame…

very nice. i actually love the contrast with the swoopy frame and blocky post. i’d even go so far as to make the seat post from reclaimed 100 year or dirt barn posts. would be a great mix of materials with the smooth light wood frame, brushed metal and honest post with some history. add a nice veg tan leather seat and it’d be awesome!

R