Scanning marker renderings

Hello,
first of all, many compliments for the interesting discussion community.

I would like to ask you something I have been wondering about for some weeks. I have recently started to use Copic markers in order to render my cars “professionally”. As long as you admire them on paper, they look quite acceptable, as regards the colours.

But as soon as I got them scanned onto my computer, the colour starts looking really awful, kind of grainy and sandy (see attachment) and the dark colours fade (the darkest area of the attachment used to be black).

As far as the scanner setup is regarded, I chose a 600 DPI resolution.

Do you have any suggestions or any hints how I could correct my renderings (maybe even Photoshop or GIMP)?

Thank You very Much!

600 dpi is pretty high. It might be trying to pick up too much detail. I would try 300, see if it helps at all. Also try running the calibration in your scanner’s set up again. What scale are we talking about? a4 or larger?

A4 is right. I’ll immediately try it with your proposed resolution. If you have any further recommendations, please post them! :smiley:

Thank You!

Is it just a crap scanner?

600 DPI is way too high. You can always scan at that resolution and then down sample it to a more reasonable screen size. 150DPI is going to be more then adequate for portfolio printing/web use.

You can always throw on some blur or other feathering in Photoshop to soften it up some if you need to. Maybe try the despeckle filter.

I always recommend Canon USB powered scanners. I’ve had one for 8 years, $100 and it is awesome. Some other brand scanners are just crap!

I always recommend Canon USB powered scanners.

I have finally abandoned my trusty old Microtek e6 11" x 17" scanner… . I just can’t find any drivers that will work with my new(er) Dell. Too bad, so sad… it was a good, and (important to me) big, scanner.

When I was kid, my grandfather was the VP of a large lithography company and I always had tons of 5"x9" white pads to draw on (made for in-house use from end roll cutoffs). At school it took me forever to learn to “open up” and sketch on a large scale; sweeping lines, broad fills; allowing room for small details, etc. I’ve always used the scanner as a selective tool to capture sections for further development.

Guess it’s time to go back to the cramp.

Check your scanner for preset filters, that it might be applying. Some scanners come with preset filters like color correction, etc., that it might be applying after scanning. I also agree that 600 dpi is way too much. Try 150 or 300. Also, if you are scanning color then make sure sure your scanner is scanning for color and the same for just greyscale renderings. So, if you have a greyscale rendering, you might want to just scan it in using greyscale and not color, as the scanner might add in weird color where you didn’t intend it to. Good luck!

Thank You very much for your answers! Actually, what helped most was reducing the resolution to 150 DPI. Then, I also checked the filters used, but unfortunately my scanner doesn’t offer many options to intervene manually in the preset settings. Thus, I’ve used some Photoshop blur and it turned out pleasant.

Thank You again for Your advice!