Scanners?

My trusty old Microtek ScanMaker e6 has apparently come to the end of the road; I can’t get its SCSI brain to communicate with my new Dell GX520. Too bad, so sad.

It’s time to get back into the sketching swing and update some skills.

Anyone have suggestions for a suitable replacement?

I highly recommend something from Canon. I’ve had the same USB powered Canon for 7 years and it’s been great. I also have a slightly nicer, larger, faster, quieter, higher res one at work an it has been equally great. Prior to the Canon one at work I had 2 HPs that were just as good, but uglier, more expensive, and bulkier.

I second that Canon recomendation… especially the slim USB powered that is very portable. I think there’s another thread going about this somewhere on Core

You might want to think about a sheet fed, I find myself scanning in 10+ sheets at once sometimes and have been wanting one that I can just let run on it’s own

I just bought a CanoScan Lide 200 on ebay for 50 bucks (MSRP is 80). USB powered, slim, portable. That’s how I like it. I hope it gets here soon; I’ve got a lot of crap to scan.

Sheet fed would be nice, but a lot of times my stuff is in sketchbooks.

yo, trav, are you in agreement with Tarngerine and the CanoScan LiDE model? It has high ratings from users, and with a $80 msrp price isn’t an issue (already less than I’ve invested trying to get the ScanMaker up and running on this computer). Purely for sketching it looks like the machine to get.

But on the other hand, I have a bunch of existing stuff on 11 x 17, and I’ve always liked sketching “big” (a hold over from school days when my instructor would hound me to sketch bigger (my grandfather was VP of a large lithography company, and I grew up drawing on 5"x7" “scrap pads”)).

But it looks like a jump to “legal size” scanners throws the game into the $375-600+ bracket.

HP ScanJet 8200

Epson GT-1500

Canon DR1210C

Microtek ScanMaker i800 Pro

Any feed back on these machines?

Thanks.

I have a Canoscan LIDE 20, which I guess is an older one, and bought it on Craigslist for $30. I have found it great for sketches that your going to rework on the computer, but the one I have doesn’t scan photos very well. A coworker had a newer version that did scan photos pretty well, so I think it might have been just mine.

I would definitely recommend a LIDE for portability and convenience alone. It easily fits in my laptop bag and I don’t need to carry a another plug. The others might scan higher quality material a little better though

Some guy in my environment sketching class was talking about getting this scanner, but I don’t know if he actually got it:

http://www.amazon.com/Mustek-Express-A3-USB-Scanner/dp/B000WKSZ5A

A3’s like… 12x16? Looks heavy as hell though.