Scanner recommendation? (For sketches)

Hi everyone,
I need to pick up a new scanner for sketches and I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for one that worked well for them? I’d like something that can pick up light line weights and the less touching up I have to do the better. An 8.5 x 11 bed is all I really need and an attached printer would be nice. I had a decent one before but it didn’t last long…

Thanks for the advice

Well… no responses, but if anyone else is looking in the future, I decided on the Canon Pixma MX882. It appears to be the upgrade to the Cannon MX870 (which won quite a few awards). This one is almost identical, but is faster, black instead of gray, and was about $40 cheaper where I bought it. Has near perfect ratings on quite a few sites from users and experts. I liked it because it has an autofeed tray where I can drop in a stack of sketches and it will scan them all (even 2-sided if you want). It is somewhat large, but that doesn’t bother me, as long as it can scan well. I don’t plan on printing any portfolio materials on it, but the reviews say the print quality is excellent, so that’s always nice to have (I have no printer at the moment). Paid $130 with free shipping.

I can write up a review once I get it and try it out if anyone is interested.

I’d be interested…

Well sorry, looks like its been quite a while since you responded. I guess I don’t have my account set to email me on responses. At any rate–

Overall I like it, and think its great for my purposes (and it was pretty cheap). The print quality and color is nice. I haven’t tried any real nice paper in it, so I can’t say for sure, but I doubt I would be printing my portfolio with it. For general prints though, it is super fast, and good quality. Its also very quiet if that is an issue for anyone.

Scanning with the scanner bed is really good for a multi-function machine. Its pretty quick as well and the images don’t need much adjusting to clean up. It works a lot better than my parent’s much more expensive printer/scanner. The auto-feed scanning kind of fell short though. It never jammed up on me, and works pretty well, but I wasn’t particularly satisfied with the quality. If the pages you were scanning didn’t need to be top quality, it would save you some time/trouble, but for sketches, I have decided I’ll just do them one at a time with the bed. With the auto-feed lighter lines were washed out and every image scanned in rotated just a few degrees (I can see the edge of the page) and I don’t see any way to adjust this (without Photoshop). I didn’t install the software though, because I prefer not to load up my computer with useless programs, so maybe you could fix it some there. The scanning on autofeed also seemed to be extremely slow in comparison to the bed scans, but at least you don’t have to sit around and watch them since it didn’t jam on me at all. I guess I shouldn’t expect perfect results from an auto-feed tray. Overall I’m still happy, because the bed scans are good quality, and quick.

I set it up wireless without any trouble. It only took me a couple minutes and it works perfectly. I almost thought I was going to have an issue because it wasn’t recognizing my password, but it was just because I didn’t see the shift button to switch to uppercase. I never used it with a usb connection to my computer, but like I said, it still scans/prints fast enough for me. I also have scanned directly to a jumpdrive and that worked pretty well for me too, so no issues there.

My only complaint is that it is BIG for a typical household printer. Its not terribly tall, but its footprint is sizable compared to many printers. You can check the specs and measure it out for yourself. At least the paper is contained inside the machine, so you don’t have a tray dangling off the back of it. Still, it’s not a huge issue for me, particularly since I run it on a wireless connection, so I just set it on the other side of the room. However, if you wanted to plop it on the corner of your desk, be aware it’ll take up space.

I haven’t printed much with it, so my ink meters are all still reading full, so I can’t really pass any judgement on how fast it burns ink.

Overall, I would recommend it if you have space. I’m happy with its performance, and for the price, I don’t know if I could find a better unit. Don’t expect beautiful portfolio prints that really expensive printers can churn out, but for scanning sketches and everyday printing, go for it.