Saving SBP files as JPG files?

I’m new to Sketchbook Pro (and new to all sketching/drawing/painting software), and I’m trying to figure out how to print my drawings on photopaper at the local photo place. My TIFF files are over 2MB but when I save them in a format the photo places can use (JPG) the file size drops to under 200KB, making the largest high quality print I can make being a 4x6. I’ve tried increasing the canvas and image size and the TIFF file gets over 7MB, but the JPG still gets saved under 200KB.

Any advice is appreciated.

Hello and welcome to the boards.

JPEG is not good for printing images because it is Lossy. If your printer is asking for JPEG (???) you can click the options button in the save dialog box and ratchet the quality up to ‘Best’ I’m surprised they wouldn’t accept a TIFF

Image size in SBP is very important to understand as it defaults to a “screen” size for new images. This is because the software is designed to be light and quick for a digital workflow, not to create finished printed outputs (usually). For this reason, new documents are 100 DPI, usually shy of 8"x11" or 1024x768px (a very common monitor resolution, used to be anyway)

Anyone will tell you that to get a good quality print, 300 DPI is the minimum. Your 4x6 print is a default SBP document at 200DPI. In order to get a larger image, you need to scale it up (image → image size) which will add pixels and make the image fuzzy or start over with a larger canvas.

When you create a new image, change the image size to something like 3000 x 2400 px Then create your image and it will be larger and crispy. Sorry this is bad news :frowning: , any questions?

-B

Thanks for the welcome.

The online sites like Shutterfly and Snapfish only accept JPG, so that’s what spurred my questions.

Do you usually not get your finished work printed? What image size do you usually use? I’m wonding becuase the default setting in SBP are fine for just messing around, but if you wanted to make a print quality drawing (or found out that you wanted to turn an inital sketch into a finished drawing), would you have to think ahead and change the resolution before you start your drawing? I don’t think I want to change my default settings to make a 25+ MB file for every simple sketch I might make.

I’ll mess with the image size tonight and see how the 300 pixels per inch affects the file size.

The work I do in SBP is not what I would consider “finished work” as I use it for product development. It usually is imported into photoshop or CAD. Printed sketches don’t always have to be high resolution when you are using them for a 1 hour client meeting and then moving forward. With that said, I have my default at 17x11 @ 150DPI. Its small enough to not bog down but still holds up well if I need to show the images.

if you wanted to make a print quality drawing (or found out that you wanted to turn an inital sketch into a finished drawing), would you have to think ahead and change the resolution before you start your drawing?

Generally, yes. If you know that this drawing will be used beyond the “sketchbook” then I would start with a large canvas. If a thumbnail needs to be turned into a finished drawing, I blow up the image size and use the thumbnail as an underlay to redraw.

ok, so I changed the image size to 3000 x 2600 and 300 pixels per inch. I did some sketching, and then saved the file. The TIFF file was 6MB, and then I saved it as a JPG at the highest quality and it was 550KB.

Does that seem right to you?

That sounds about right. Keep in mind due to the nature of how JPEG compression works, pictures of the same pixel size but with different levels of visual complexity (more colors, shapes, etc) will be larger. Basically, what a compressed image does is instead of a bitmapped image:

white,white,white,white,white,
white,white,white,red,red,
white,white,grey,black,black,
black,white,white,black,white,
white,white,white,white,white

it’s like this:
white18,red2,white3,black3,white2,black,white16

JPEG is much more complex, using averaging and blocks as words, instead of just pixels, but you get the idea
(where it left out the single “grey” and replaced it with white, is the lossy component)

if this image was more complex, the compression can’t do as much to shrink it. Your image is mostly black and white so it gets good compression.

The two images I attached are the same pixel size (300 x 300) with the same compression but one has more image complexity and is 6 times larger (13k vs 79k)

Is this clearer? :smiley:
sample2.jpg
sample1.jpg

Yeah I understand what you’re saying, but now I don’t know what to do.

Basically I can’t make a sketch of photo quality, because of the whole jpeg compression issue, right?

Is this an issue in other software like Corel Painter and Photoshop? How do you (or others) get their finished works printed(in any software) if there’s this jpeg compression issue?

Sorry I’m a little inexperienced when comes to this stuff, I just started sketching again and I’m new to sketching software.

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.

Basically I can’t make a sketch of photo quality, because of the whole jpeg compression issue, right?

Not sure what you mean by photo quality, but you don’t really want no compression as your images will all be huge. JPEG will work as long as you keep that compression slider high. While in print, JPEG is not ideal for printing “photo quality”, compression tech is good enough that I think all formats use them including PSD and TIFF (as an option) As long as you have plenty of pixels and don’t overcompress your image (recompressing the same JPEG repeatedly) you’ll be fine, don’t sweat it. The online print services probably require JPEG so that they don’t get people sending them 100MB TIFF files via email and wondering why it isn’t working.

You will learn by doing. Do you have Photoshop? SBP 2010 can read/write PSDs with layers. It’s easier to play with resolutions in PS I think. If you have an inkjet printer at home, print out samples at different resolutions and see if you can tell the difference.

Sorry if I got all technical on you, what I’m saying basically is: your original image started out too small. Next time, start with a larger canvas and you will be fine.

Save your work in a high quality format like .tiff or .psd. When you want to convert it for some other use, use a tool like Photoshop which has a more advanced set of quality settings and filters to convert it to a JPG. This preserves your high quality work but gives you flexibility to adjust for web usage.

When you print things, print your uncompressed image. You can get an 8 gig flash drive and a 1 TB hard drive for like $100 these days. Storage should not be an issue. If your photo place can not print tif’s (you should probably find a competent photo place) then save your .jpg with 100% quality. Just don’t do it out of sketchbook since the algorithims are weak. The file will be smaller (it can still compress areas without being lossy) and they can print it.

ok, I think I’ve figured it out.
Attached is the sketch I started last night to see how this file size issue worked out.
Image size is 3000 x 2600
Saved as a TIFF, file size = 6MB
Saved as a JPEG, file size = 550KB

I tried uploading the JPEG file to an online priting service and it had no problem or distortion on an 8x10 print, unlike the sketch I posted previously which had an image size of 1366 x 698.

I was getting hung up on the file size being so much smaller than I thought it should be, rather than worrying about the image size.

Thanks for all the help guys!!!

i also sketch some doodles in the SBP canvas… but only for use it as reference in further “visual ideas”

when i want to print some sketches i use adobe photoshop for that, i imported the basic sketch from SBP or directly by scanning the bic-hand made sketch, and then the archive is resized to 5000 px x 3200 more or less. Of Course this base layer is just as reference and at the end of the archive would disappear . While the pc at home isn`t a workstation of these days, (only 2 gb in RAM), i learned how to speed up the process using more paths than brushes, so that allows to transform the dimensions without loosing fidelity and adding some details that are made by brush. when printing the file i used couché paper and directly form the psd archive, not savin’ it as jpg (just do that very few times)

when i was at school, the printing lab was very busy …so when you get there with archives that were very low to print…(with the printers & plotters available a large archive started in 5mb ), so you were sure your file wouldn´t get printed that day…

keep it going…sure you’re going to learn very fast…