'sarco' the assisted suicide pod

Maybe some of you have seen this making its way around the internet? Personally, I have no ethical problem with the concept. either side you fall on for that part of it, I have been seeing some conversation around the appropriateness of the industrial design, which seems to be trying to have some kind of luxury appeal to it. I understand wanting to make it comfortable, and friendly for sure, but maybe this goes a little too far into an odd version of sci-fi lux?

DeathMachine.jpg

What about the poor schlep who has to transfer the body? What about this design makes it safe for them not to throw out their back?

Great point.

And while I do believe in accessing to this type of thing if someone wants it, I’m not sure I agree with this:

with his assisted suicide pod ‘sarco,’ philip nitschke seeks to ‘de-medicalize’ the dying process. he notes that currently, a doctor need to be involved to prescribe the patient with sodium pentobarbital and to confirm their mental capacity. the exit international founder aims to remove any kind of psychiatric review from the process and allow the individual to control the method themselves.

I guess why need a device at all? How is this better than laying down on a nice comfy bed in a nicely appointed room and taking a pill prescribed by a doctor?

The cost of Sarco will depend on what is charged by the 3D print shop. In March 2018 it was reported on CNBC that a car can now be printed for around US$7500. This gives some indication of current costs at least.

They are expecting people to actually print this thing? I assumed when I saw this a while ago that it was more of a ‘tool’ for doctors offices, but after reading their website they want to have no doctor involved with any of the process, but instead relying on AI for patient screening and 3D printing for manufacturing.

I can’t begin to fathom what terminal patients experience, but it seems poorly thought out that they should be expected to build this from scratch with 3D printed parts/plans and not have anything go wrong.

Their FAQ: FAQs – Sarco

maybe the guy just watched Soylent Green too many times

The “Going Home” scene in Soylent Green seems like more peaceful and well thought through alternative:

thanks for posting that, glad you got the reference. I think the product is a rather shallow gadget-ing of a very serious need.
there’s an interview on Core now where the subject claims luxury goods are “enriching”. It’s not true. not in life and certainly not in death

No, Switzerland has not approved a ‘suicide capsule’

Nope.

This is nothing more than the usual hype and nonsense made for Yanko design and sites like Designboom that share anything and everything for clicks.

Anyone can render anything and say anything. At best it’s some sort of “art”. But it’s definitely not a real product and definitely not design.

R

In the original version of this article it was incorrectly claimed that the Sarco Capsule “passed legal review”. This information is false, as for example a fact check by APExternal link made clear. We are deeply sorry for this misleading title and information. The article was corrected following a December 8 investigation by watson.chExternal link: claims by Philip Nitschke that he was in talks with several groups in Switzerland to launch the Sarco capsule next year could not be verified. None of the main Swiss assisted suicide organisations – Dignitas, Exit Deutsche Schweiz, or Ex International – said they were considering the technology, according to watson.ch. The organisation Philip Nitschke referred to in the original version of the article was PegasosExternal link. On December 11 an infobox was added based on information from AP.

Larissa M. Bieler

Editor-in-chief, SWI swissinfo.ch

1. oh, thank god.
  2. still, over consumption of goofball products or internet junk will kill us

A good way to combat overpopulation.

“philip nitschke seeks to ‘de-medicalize’ the dying process. he notes that currently, a doctor need to be involved to prescribe the patient with sodium pentobarbital and to confirm their mental capacity. the exit international founder aims to remove any kind of psychiatric review from the process and allow the individual to control the method themselves.”

The fact that people will step to suicide as an easy solution to solving life’s problems is the exact reason why it is regulated.
People don’t know what they want. They may be experiencing an emotional low while actually nothing is wrong with them.
We don’t want people to kill themselves because of some personal drama or other minor reason; euthanasia is usually for terminal patients only.
If anything, the machine could bring in some humor/irony by being some kind of meat processor - maybe it will change the ‘user’ 's mind.
Not that I am against technology assisting these processes; it should just be well researched and not naive loverboy design nonsense like this.