sampler - feedback

Hi,

I’m a recent grad (well Jun 04) of Product Design from DMU, Leicester, UK.

Since then I’ve came close on a few jobs, done three stints of freelance work (2 modemaking, 1 sketching) but not found the elusive permanent job (not that there’s many to be had to start with). Overall my printed portfolio has went done well, with a few positive suggestions (addition of packaging & furniture)

I currently have three portfolios:

full blown A3 printed
A4 bound sampler (about 8 pages)
and this one:

http://www.lanarkms.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/paul/samples.pdf

A sampler/teaser that I e-mail to companies/agencies upon request.

Any feedback would be really helpful.

Paul

juicy photography gives an awesome initial impression. Felt like the emailer ended on a whimper though with the sub-par sketches. Good model-making. The sketch lines on the CAD model did not really add any more information. Is it necessary?Great graphic layout

sketching over model. 100% necessary IMO, as the rendering looked extremally dry. I have the product and packaging prototypes which I really should get photographed to replace this image.

sub-par sketching. Again probably not the best work I have, as my printed portfolio got me a freelance sketch job. I’ll change this in due course.

Thanks for the response. :slight_smile:

complete ditto on this. dude, you got to put the BEST stuff in the teaser, otherwize it’s not a teaser. Great photography, the stylized drawings on the resistance workout piece are much higher grade than the sketch page. Axe it or replace it.

Thanks for posting the good though, always a tough thing to do, nice stuff over all.

I hear you on the sketching over the rendering, there is a really nice example of this by Gray Holland of Alchemy Labs in the book Return on Innovation, I was unable to locate a pic for you though.

If I were you, I will print the rendering out, sketch over it on paper and re-scan it. It seems that your tablet skills aren’t doing the job for you. Maybe I am wrong, maybe that’s the style you want to achieve, but I am getting the impression that you did it in a hurry.

Also, perhaps instead of picking other sketches, you can just resketch those you want to replace.

I haven’t used a tablet anywhere. The sketched over rendering was done exactly as you’ve said. It was intended to give the rendering a bit more loose-ness.

As for the other sketches, how can I re-sketch them any better? These were simply non-worked development sketches before soft modeling and then eventually CAD.

I find the two above mentioned issues quite odd (tho I do see where your coming from) as when I exhibited my work @ New Designers, London I had these two images on the wall at about A3 size - and that’s what people noticed the most.

Well, thanks for the feedback. Gives me something to do till I get work.

you are getting a good response to your request. It may take a bit to digest, but if you are getting it in here and from people you show, perhaps there is something to it. It is a great advantage to know wht you can improve versus being in the dark about it.

Totally.

That’s why I’ll be re-working and working on the main issues highlighted. If my replies seemed to across otherwise I apologise…that’s just written text for you.

But, as I did say that the two images that have the most issues on here are the two that made the bigger impact at New Designers (3000+ grads) and from the few I’ve had interviews no-one said my sketchwork was poor or required work. The focus has certainly been on my ability to communicate well but of course I wish my sketchwork, esp 3D, was vastly improved.

molested cow - I honestly wouldn’t know how to re-draw them. That’s just my style, which works for me. Any tips?

Thanks for the tips! It certainly looks more graceful. What process(s) did you use? In my own mind the use of heavy to light lines doesn’t make sense, but looks very appealing. I’ll have a go myself.

This particular sketch was done with Painter, but the process itself can be adapted to paper and pen.
Essentially you start off sketching somewhat similar to what you show. Rough and squiggly to think something through. This way you can get many different ideas out, Usefull process sketches are seldom pretty. They are also seldom seen. Easily accomplished on any bond paper or cheap medium. You are better off sticking with a pen or writing utensil that does not need to be sharpened often

at some point, there is a need to communicate to team-mates. Then you clean up your better thought out ugly-ducklings. This type of sketch is somewhere between a squiggly and a full blown render, This is also the kind of sketch that you see in a typical “process book” So when you show process sketches it is best to show a communicative sketch rather than a contemplative one. Ball point pens, prismacolors and verithins are very good at this point in the game because they have a sensitive line quality

The idea of thick to thin is not necessary. Many ID firms like Fitch have a presentation style with a more uniform stroke. A uniform stroke is sometimes preferrable when depicting mechanical concepts.

However in this particular method the thick to thin stroke allows for sensitive treatment of contours eg- shadowed areas can be represented with thicker strokes to visually weigh them down and areas in light areas can be thinner. It also creates a visually varied sketch

Ah right, I assumed the top one wasn’t pencil and ink.

It’s funny you should mention Fitch, as I was due to undertake 1 weeks freelance concept/ideation/sketching back in Nov with the London office. Unfortunately it fell through at the last minute.

The contrast of that top sketch make it pop so much more than the colored pencil version. I’d try blowing some quick marker color ontop of it (photo copy it)

good job