Sample Manufacturing Contract?

did he really say plastic widget?

forgive me but what sort of product is that? a chochky?

Its the term someone uses when they don’t want to specify what it is.

IP- or any

have you ever tried to produce something yourself; if so how did you do?

Personally funded? No.

Have I designed and followed product through from beginning to end? Yes. Going through the tedious task of documenting the final stages of a product going to Asia right now…this post is an official procrastination technique.

How? Project specific. Hard to answer this without a few pages…if not a few beers to take the sting out of recalling some of the projects.

I may try one day. this year or next. who knows.

Join the crowd :wink:

most of what has been said here is spot on, esp about developing a long term relationship with you mfg. If you folks are serious about running your own product up through the maylstorm with your own nickle…let me know…been there, done that, got the t shirt.

I have an idea for an ipod accessory. Its a consumer electronic item, just applied for a patent last month, and willing to go forward once I get costs for manufacturing in China. If I can’t get it in retail (Apple store & etc) I will sell it myself. Too bad I can’t make the Holiday season.
talk me out of it!

well the clock is running, 26 months to make it or break it…and as most money is made in shit and get products your ok. You need to really get after the marketing the “do it myself” angle is only viable for high profit low cost stuff, so you better get on the apple stores. I dont know if your product is hard or soft, if soft you got less tooling issues to worry about (time and money) but if hard you might be looking at crunch time. Your patent pending, so you can disclose, start a thread and tell us about it, the collected wisdom here might know of the right folks to make this less of a “OH SHIT OH DEAR” time.

I have an idea for an ipod accessory. Its a consumer electronic item, just applied for a patent last month, and willing to go forward once I get costs for manufacturing in China. If I can’t get it in retail (Apple store & etc) I will sell it myself. Too bad I can’t make the Holiday season.
talk me out of it![/quote] well the clock is running, 26 months to make it or break it…and as most money is made in shit and get products your ok. You need to really get after the marketing the “do it myself” angle is only viable for high profit low cost stuff, so you better get on the apple stores. I dont know if your product is hard or soft, if soft you got less tooling issues to worry about (time and money) but if hard you might be looking at crunch time. Your patent pending, so you can disclose, start a thread and tell us about it, the collected wisdom here might know of the right folks to make this less of a “OH SHIT OH DEAR” time.[/quote]

I changed the concept just a bit from the patent discription so I’m not to sure if it is iron-clad as nothing really is. I will be sure in due time to make a thread based on the project if all goes well. If you or anyone know of a good consumer electronics manufacturer here in the states especially on the east coast or asia let me know. I’ll give discounts once produced. So how did you do on your venture; good, OK, not so good?

Thanks for all the great advice and posts.

I will try several quotes, some directly with factories and others with American outfits that manage Chinese factories.

My partner speaks Chinese which is why language won’t be a problem if we went there on our own but I do see how we can run into pitfalls.

Deez, have you personally dealt with Far East Tooling before and are they good and relatively cheap? I fear they may tack on a lot more than if I went straight to a Chinese factory but I do see the value in not having to worry about it on my own and concentrate on selling.

Deez, are you serious, they would know if I said “gimme the Deez discount?”
=)

zippyflounder-

do you know if you even need a license if your product is for the ipod and will say so on the packaging. How long does it take to get a license if you need one. are you familiar with that area? Im waiting for their response but it could take a while.

My guess is that Ipod is a reg trade mark and you will be required to buy a licence. In doing a quick google search I came up with this The Mac Observer - Apple iPhone, Mac, Watch and iPad News, Opinions, Tips and Podcasts it looks like they went from 2% wholesale to a 4 buck a unit fee…wheeeeeee thats a bunch!

Depends on if its a design patent or a utlity, if a design patent your sorta screwed no matter what as they are pretty worthless. I used 2 companies in China, and have for years, dontk know of any state side for small consumer electronic stuff. I did ok on some of my ventures less so on others but that had more to do with my investors than the product or market.

here’s more info on the made for ipod program.

http://developer.apple.com/ipod/

i’d assume that you could make whatever you like and sell it with no $ to apple as long as you didnt use the ipod trademark, however.

R

You do have to buy the dock from Apple though…

THX, Rkuchinsky/zippyflounder.

I may even draft a second utility patent since there have been small changes.

I’m wondering if you can modify a patent already filed a month ago?

things always changing!

Yes its called a addendum, you submit it during first action from the uspto in about 18 months.

you guys are great.

much appreeesh!

I’ll keep you all in the loop.