salary for a designer in china

Hi everyone!

i just want to ask some advices on the salary i should ask if i’m going to work in China. I have 3 years of experience.

any other advices

Thank you

Hong Kong?
Shanghai?
Guongdong?
?

in Jinhua : 2 hours south of shangai

Whatever it is, its gonna be low.

Average Income in the USA $45 000
In China $900

Which is worse?

Junior Designer, Shanghai = US $500 a month

good enough to live on!

WOW, that’s like working at Walmart for 8 days.

FYI. Walmart has lots of benefits. Much better than the average design outifit. Don’t make fun of Walmart. Every dollar spent in the US, $.07 of that is from Walmart.

Also you dumbasses, you can’t just look at salaries alone. $45K vs $500. Its all about cost of living too. Its so low in China. Either way you won’t get a share of the pie if a) you’re not Chinese b) you don’t speak Chinese c) you refer China as the ‘Orient’

Some earns $ 100 a month, some earn $ 2,000 a month.

I worked for walmart 8 years while in school and while looking for first real design gig. from sales clerk to assistant manager, was actually refussed a home office POP and Fixture design job becuase “We do not hire from with in to fill technical/professional level openings”. The benifits unless managment are a comnplete joke. You see the TV add about the father who’s son had cancer…total BS WM’s health insurance does not cover any Cancer, HIV, or AIDS releated treatments, Only if you are managment level. Stock options and 401k…complete sham, you leave you loose 90% of it no mater what.

I hate communists!!!

There are other things to consider when thinking about a salary in china.

If you are foreign, especially white male, you will be paid more; it is a status thing to have a foreigner working for your chinese company.

If you are working for a foreign company and they will be sending you there, you should expect more perks: travel expenses to get you back home at least once per year, housing allowance and sometimes a travel allowance for holidays as well as to and from the office, depending on where they find you a place to live.

If you are hired within the country, you can ask for these things, but don’t expect them.

Your employer should also provide all work/living and entering/exit visas required.

In the end your salary should be the same as or more than what you are making now. Don’t forget that you will not be living at home, you will need to spend a lot of money to make yourself comfortable. Things that you are accustomed to eating and doing at home, will be very much more expensive and very difficult to find in china. You may have to buy/rent furniture, and other household items. And you will need to travel (for your sanity), which will mean more holiday time, as well as spending money.

Most foreigners who move to china to work, move there because the salary is so much better than what it would be at home.

Good Luck!

is there any difference if i’m going to work for a chinese company instead of a canadian company in china?

totally different. If you work for a Candaian company, you can get a similar salary as working in Canda. And living expense is much lower in China. So you can live quite comfortable.

what could i expect as salary from a chinese company?

like mentioned up there somewhere…

$500 a month is a good junior designer wage in a city like shanghai. if you are a foreigner maybe a little more. but as a foreigner you are more valulable as a sales tool than a designer!

but what should i think… the other guy earlier was saying:

''In the end your salary should be the same as or more than what you are making now. Don’t forget that you will not be living at home, you will need to spend a lot of money to make yourself comfortable. Things that you are accustomed to eating and doing at home, will be very much more expensive and very difficult to find in china. You may have to buy/rent furniture, and other household items. And you will need to travel (for your sanity), which will mean more holiday time, as well as spending money.

Most foreigners who move to china to work, move there because the salary is so much better than what it would be at home. ‘’

if the salary is the same as in Canada, it should be definitly higher than 500$ a month??? who should i believe.

i need some solid exemples of salary so i can negociate better with the company who will hire me

OK, curiosity is piqued…What canadian design company would you work for in China? I am a canadian designer and didn’t know there were any that had that kind of outreach…except maybe GadShannaan.

don’t get me wrong here… it is a chinese company!!! no link whatsoever with Canada… i am canadian and that’s all

I think both pay scales are realistic - they just apply to two very different situations. The first is for a foreign company moving staff to china, the second is for a chinese company with chinese employees.

It seems as if your situation is closer to the second, yes? Moving to China to work for a chinese company? You can expect that they will be paying you chinese wages then.

Who will be your colleagues at the firm? If they are all chinese then that is another strong indicator you will be on a chinese pay-scale. If there are other foreigners there then you have a chance at near-Western wages.

Also, you have to consider the labor-market for ID there… Unless you are being recruited for a unique expertise you possess you are competing for the job with candidates making the $500/month rate (more likely $300-$400)

Of course it is true that if you are a white male (or even female!) then you already possess some innate value to the chinese businessman as a face for their business. That alone might make you worth more than the market rate.

Basically, you should expect to be paid a lot closer to the $500/m than the $45k/yr. but like some said up there you can’t really compare the numbers because of cost of living - though if you are trying to save some money for use in the West then better stick with the West to make it.