S C H O O L Q U E S T I O N S in industrial design

hello
my name is mark and i am going off to college in 2 years. i was looking at the industrial design program at a nearby school and i was interested. i was wondering…

1. how much math and science was involved with the industrial design program at the school that you attended? if so. what courses were they in math and science?

2. are there any classes you reccomend i take while i am still in high school to prepare for this program?

3. do you have a lot of artistic freedom in this program?

4. is the job market for industrial designers large and open?

thank you soo much for your support
if u want to contact me about anything my email is markeffect@yahoo.com

Mark: answers below:

1. how much math and science was involved with the industrial design program at the school that you attended? if so. what courses were they in math and science?

None

1. are there any classes you reccomend i take while i am still in high school to prepare for this program?

As many art classes as possible. If your school has mechanical drawing, any kind of computer art/graphics classes, take them! Wood shop if you can. Intro to physics wouldn’t hurt.

1. do you have a lot of artistic freedom in this program?

In school you wil have a lot of artistic freedom (in a good program), it varies in the feild, some jobs are very creative, some are more technical.

1. is the job market for industrial designers large and open?

There is always room for talented young people in design

What school are you looking at?

hey thank you for replying, it really helped.
i am looking at the university of wisconsin stout. i am really excited to visit the school and hopefully end up going there.

so where did you go to school? i saw your website. your work is very interesting and fresh.

later

mark

Thanks:: I just updateed the site and am still working on it.

You should check out some other mid west schools as well like The University of Cincinatti, Cleveland Institute of Art, and College for Creative Studies as well. All of well respected programs. Stout is a bit Stout from what I hear, but I don’t know anyone first hand that went there. Def visit it though, esp if it is close. Allways goot to talk to some students first hand.

Your math and science skills and knowledge is going to benefit you, not just as a designer, but as an individual generally. Don’t ever think that you don’t need it. It’s KNOWLEDGE, there is no such thing as too much of it.

That being said, your knowledge in math and science is going to help you solve problems. Sometimes it doesn’t take an engineer to get to the solution. It also gives you a little common ground between you and the engineers.

Not just math and science, even geography and other fields of studies come into play. You are a designer. You need knowledge to design, so aquire as much you can as possible.

Also, CAD softwares are math based. Working in CAD is also a problem solving process. Being good in geometry is a very good thing.

If you are just an artist, then you aren’t giving reason to your potential employer why he/she should choose you over the next sketch monkey who comes to the interview.

if you are planning to get a BA then you need to take general ed classes which do include science (and math if you dont pass exam). usually the classes are related to design… but for some reason most ppl just slack off in those academic classes :stuck_out_tongue:

Molested cow do you even have a job?

Not having attended a program in Industrial Design, I guess I am not really qualified to offer too much advice, BUT in general…

You should definately understand math and science. Your job as an industrial designer is to create designs that are innovative, creative, aesthetically pleasing, emotionally enlightening, and most importantly - realistic. Your designs will be significantly more valuable if you understand the physics, bio mechanics, anthropometric measurments/statistics, etc behind them.

It would be a shame to pursue a higher education and not explore to your true academic potential in math and science, if only as a cursory knowledge.

Hey Mark,

I think you should definitaly check out Stout.
I graduated from there and had a great experience.
Even if you aren’t planning on attending and you live in the twin cities you should check it out.
I believe your education is what you make of it.
The one area that I know Stout is lacking in is a coop internship program. I have noticed that schools such as the University of Cinncinati, have internship programs. These experiences are very valuable. A qualilty graduate coming out of Cinncinati seems to almost always have some sort of real world design experience if not many internships under his/her belt.
If you are going to be around Stout this weekend I believe there is going to be a sketch demo and portfolio review. You should check it out.

Good Luck.
Go Blue Devils!