Royal College of Art

Hi!

I`m looking for some informations about admission on
Royal College of Art - London.
Is someone from there, to tell me about portfolio, interview, and
what are the important things. What do they look (concept, final
presentation, originality…)

And how important is the language on the interview?

Thanks
:wink:

:o

Hi,

Tried to get into industrial design engineering course last year, no luck but looking back at my portfolio i can see now why i didnt even get a rejection letter.

From what i can tell, dont try and impress with too many fancy graphics, they are all about ideas and their developements.

Sketches really important!

well back to work on my own portfolio, hope to see you in kensington next year!

hi ben,

thanks for your informations.

I am interested in products design.

Do you have URL side. Can I see your Portfolio somewhere?

…good luck with your portfolio and I realy hope that
we will see in kensington next year!

"From what i can tell, dont try and impress with too many fancy graphics, they are all about ideas and their developements.

Sketches really important! "

Sounds good, although sketching only gets you so far if your ideas are bunk (hint).

Providing evidence of prototyping your ideas probably won’t hurt either.

Good luck!

“And how important is the language on the interview?”.

Forgot to mention that there is a language test before / after interview for those that have a language other than english as their mother tongue.

It’s on the RCA website (somwhere) under admissions.

I was a student on the ide course at the rca (grad 13 years ago). I spent the best part of 2 years thinking and preparing ideas for the application. Ultimately, I presented about 10 ideas for products in a folio with plenty of sketches for alternatives for each one and then marker renderings of each final design with text about materials. Some I supplied engineering drawings for (basic stuff in 3rd angle). I also made one basic model, which I took along. I didn’t really know what I was doing ofcourse; I just got a couple of books about presentation and excitedly got on with it. It was a lot of work and a lot of fun, but I wanted the place more than anything else at that time. It’s about commitment: if you want it badly enough; you’ll work for it and you’ll get it.

Good luck.

The best to get the interview is send things which are promising, try to imply that you have a “mission in life” that you can accomplish in the RCA.
Ron Arad will probably be in the interview, along with other tutors and one current student. It is the scary bit.

Thanks for all informations :smiley:

hi guys, piggy back on this thread,
how abt foreign students?
do they need an interview as well?

Of course, everybody does.

can someone show me a web portfolio, with which he past the test.
that I can see the level of quality. because I don`t
know if I am good enough.