Rocking chairs, the bad, the ugly and the ?

This is why I come here. Good advice with good design sense.

Thanks!

Will for now probably keep it simple and get a Eames Rocker and see how it goes. It’s cheap, and compact and reusable. If need be, can try the Eames Lounge, or pickup something in a pinch. I’m probably overthinking it, which is my specialty, especially when it comes to furniture. I researched for 2 years before I got a sofa…

R

Kid #1 screwed me for sure. Kid #2 was blessedly easy(er). Kid #1 needed some fairly aggressive rocking tempos for a long time, 45-60 min was not uncommon! Ergo my feedback on needing to be comfortable in that chair because in all likelihood you are running on 4 hours of sleep.

On the upside, perhaps as a result of the aggressive rocking schedules Kid #1 (now eight yrs) has a well developed vestibular system and scary-good proprioception qualities.

Since we are on the topic of good, bad and ugly baby furniture, may I also suggest one of these contraptions. Something similar anyway.

Its obviously not for feeding but you can strap junior in, and take a nap on the couch. Worked pretty well for ours. Ugly as hell though.

We’ve looked at the Baby Bjorn Bouncer

and this thing-

But as per the advice above will probably wait to see what the baby likes and maybe get this that attaches to the Tripp Trapp chair we already picked up (converts from high chair to toddler chair to regular chair. Got a floor model on sale that matches our Eames LCW dining set)

I may be naive, but I refuse to get any of that terrible baby stuff with plastic bits and cheap battery powered sounds and lights. My wife is thankfully on board. It’s hard to find well designed baby stuff that doesn’t look terrible, but it does exist. This play thing for example compared to the usual plastic junk.

R

The child will find the packaging much more fascinating that the object in the packaging. But I will be the first to admit I bought many things for myself than the kid. The mere sight of a Jack in the Box made one of them cry. Didn’t know that when I bought it. And I bought it because it was an interesting take on a Jack in the Box. One of the few things I have kept since those days.

Also, every study I have ever read states that reading to your child trumps absolutely everything for mental development. There is no block, flashing light nor noise that is better than a parent’s voice.

My favorites are Goodnight Moon, Pat the Bunny and Where the Wild Things Are.

iab again, perfect. I bought a new iMac why my two oldest were 4 and 2. Within 10 minutes of unboxing, they’d colored, cut, made the box into a fort.

And get Richard Scarry Books, when they’re a little older. But babies? They don’t care (but iab’s list are classics worth getting for sure). Read the news to them. Or your favorite Design magazine. Just the sound of your voice, and how you speak teaches them language. It’s amazing.

Sorry this is going off topic. I’ve had 3 kids, and it’s wonderful even when it’s the worst. maybe we need a new designer parent advice thread…

That’s a nice wooden toy. I hear wood carries less germs than plastic too.
A contraption along these lines is also nice to have.
You can set it up and take it down as needed. When junior starts crawling a little bit, you can corral you and them inside of it, and then lay down and SLEEP for 20 minutes.

Tripp Trapp chair is the greatest child seat of all time. We used ours from the time our kids could sit up until they were 9 - there were no accessories when we got them. Still have them, used them for grandkids. Too sentimental to let them go - had them now for 45 years and they are like new. All of kids loved them.

It’s been a while since I have followed the boards, but I wanted to throw out a CONGRATS to R. Being a dad is one of the most amazing jobs you will ever have.

OK on topic… I know the feeling. I have two kids and when my first was born I went through the same dilemma. We ended up getting a rocker from West Elm. It worked well in both nurseries but to be honest, I have no idea what to do with it now. My youngest is now 2 and it is still in her room not getting used. I/ll probably sell it.

What I will tell you is make sure you think about comfort as well. I considered the Eames rocker, but I am glad I didn’t buy it. My son required a lot of rocking and there were a few VERY tired nights in that chair thing to get him to go to sleep. In those situations there will be times when you won’t care if it looks like a cardboard box, you just want to be comfortable and get him to go to sleep. My wife also used it for nursing so comfort was very important.

Again, congrats and enjoy!

J

I may be naive, but I refuse to get any of that terrible baby stuff with plastic bits and cheap battery powered sounds and lights. My wife is thankfully on board. It’s hard to find well designed baby stuff that doesn’t look terrible, but it does exist. This play thing for example compared to the usual plastic junk

Totally hear ya. I tried this too and was a bit successful with it until they go a bit older. Mattel did some designer toys a few years ago. I also fell in love with vintage toys. Some you can buy second hand, but a lot of them are being brought back.

What I will tell you is when they get older they are going to want what their friends ar playing with. My son (5 years old) is obsessed with Transformers and Legos. I was also obsessed with them as a kid so its kind of cool to play together.

J

Tripp Trapp is a must for sure.
You may want to find an older baby set on ebay for style points (bent wood and leather crotch strap) compared to the current plastic stuff. Although you will only use the set for a fraction of the seat’s service life so don’t overpay… I’ve seen people use them in woodworking shops post-grandkids because an adult can safely lean on it and its indestructable.

We’ve got a black one.

Too bad the rest of Stokke’s product line is all space ship. They were looking for a new design director a couple month ago actually.

Skip the rocker, get a yoga ball. The variability of a bouncing g-force is slumber gold.

I went down the vintage baby set hole… now I’m scouring ebay.

Yoga ball a good call. Actually just got one for our home gym that could be a good alternative. Thanks for the idea Shaw!

R

Scott Wilson’s Fulton Rocker was picked up by HBF a couple years ago.
https://www.hbf.com/products/seating/fulton-rocker
Evidently if you work at MNML and have a baby you can use the Ooba stuff.

I looked all over when our youngest was on the way.
I found a Hans Olsen Rocker
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&biw=1618&bih=956&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=84RIXeSkFYLctAb7or_4CQ&q=olsen+rocker&oq=olsen+rocker&gs_l=img.3...8239.9910..10027...0.0..0.81.827.12......0....1..gws-wiz-img.......35i39j0j0i67j0i30j0i5i30j0i8i30.wvdN8Fhwa6A&ved=0ahUKEwik6qj1vOzjAhUCLs0KHXvRD58Q4dUDCAY&uact=5#imgrc=_rPeQwyRj1WiNM:
(at a very good price) locally, but someone snagged it up before I was able to get it. Thought about trying to build one, but had other house projects already underway.

I ended up getting the one very similar to what Michael posted, but slightly different.
I don’t LOVE it, but we needed something and it was good enough at the time. I’ve thought about making new runners (more like the Fulton)
Don’t worry, the runners are mounted backwards :wink:

My engineer wife insisted on Stokke Steps High-Chair and Bouncer, who am I to argue?
I found that I could put my foot on the bouncer when on the floor and rock it nice and steady when the need arose.

I just saw the exact same Hans Olsen one locally here for $1700. Pretty comfy actually and was considering it, but went with the Modernica Eames shell fiberglass rocker after all that for less than half the price figuring it was easier to repurpose in the living room or elsewhere later.

The Scott Wilson one is pricey but nice indeed.

R

Yeah, when I saw the Hans Olsen here it was $175 (stupidly) didn’t message for an hour and it was gone.
I try to tell myself it was gone before I saw it to help me sleep better at night.

LOL! The things we tell ourselves :wink:

Rocking chairs, the bad, the ugly and the awesome!

Meet Voido, by Ron Arad for Magis.