RIT versus Syracuse versus UC

I was accepted to RIT, Syracuse’s, and UC’s industrial design.

I have a few questions pertaining to each, and I would love to hear some answers about each school from former students.

RIT:
Is the school as nerdy as I keep hearing about?
What are the design facilities like? Are they up-to-date?
I keep hearing things about it’s “fantastic co-op program”. However, this seems to only apply to the engineering students. What are internships like at RIT? Are they hard to find?
How much help does an ID student receive when it comes to finding a job after graduation?
There seems to be a huge gender-gap at RIT, and I’ve heard some complaints by female students there. As a female, would I have legitimate concerns about attending RIT?

UC:
After scholarships and out-of-state consideration, UC is the most expensive of the three for me. In-state tuition would drop the cost down to just behind RIT. How hard is it to get in-state tuition at UC?
What are the facilities like?
How student-friendly is the surrounding area?

Syracuse:
I haven’t heard a lot about the Syracuse ID program. I would love to hear in general about the program and it’s pros and cons, especially in regards to internships, career help, any special aspects about the program, and facilities and faculty.

If there’s any advice anyone could add (as I’ve been running around in circles about which school to attend for too long) I would love to hear it. In the meantime I’ll be browsing the boards here to see what else I can dig up. Thank you! :smiley:

I haven’t been to any of the schools you mention, but from what I’ve seen around here there is some impressive work coming out of Cincinnati. (I assume that’s the UC?)

I can field the RIT questions 2010 graduate

RIT:
Is the school as nerdy as I keep hearing about? Yes, there are a lot of nerds, after all it is a tech school. It was a difficult transfer for me but you find your crew and its fine, eventually you come to embrace it. I was also involved in athletics.
What are the design facilities like? Are they up-to-date? Meh, they leave something to be desired but you can find anything you need in the Rochester area if you look.
I keep hearing things about it’s “fantastic co-op program”. However, this seems to only apply to the engineering students. What are internships like at RIT? Are they hard to find? For the engineerng and computer kids it is great,for id Non- existant, truly a major bummer to this school, I was lucky to find one ON MY OWN, the careers advisor has a packaging background and therefore caters well towards the packaging kids… Not product design.
How much help does an ID student receive when it comes to finding a job after graduation? None, on your own essentially
There seems to be a huge gender-gap at RIT, and I’ve heard some complaints by female students there. As a female, would I have legitimate concerns about attending RIT? CIAS ( college of imaging arts and sciences) is different, that and the b school are the only ones with a 50 50 split, but ID is typically more male.

Overall it is a very unique school and not like the other two at all campus wise. Even though I make it sound iffy, I found a job in consumer products I love but you need to have the drive to get far in the program and you need to find you own internships because they really have weak outside connections. This is the largest drawback in my opinion.

Spent a year at uc and you can’t beat the architecturally inspiring campus and top notch program.

But as always research and visit all them to be sure you make the right choice.

Congrats.

I’ve reviewed RIT and SU portfolios and grads recently. The decline of Kodak is probably hurting RIT’s ID program. Work was generally good but didn’t really ‘push’. SU has a new facility - the ‘warehouse’ - off campus and there is a definite look to the SU portfolios now that spans interaction and industrial design to get at the bigger ‘service’ design aspect. Both towns are bummers to be in, but at SU you’ll be there for five years, not four!