RIT , UIC, or UT austin

Hi, there

I was accepted by the ID graduate program by these three school. Since I am not living in the US. I have heard a little about them.

RIT seems to have a long history of Industrial design, and it focus more on “Real Things”(technology, form…), right? and it also have a lot of Co-op chances.

UIC was founded in 1940s, it is young. I wonder is it a mature university on this program. And What does it focus on? It locates in Chicago so is it easier to find a job?

UT austin is a famous university for a lot of subjects, but not for its Design Program, Right? And it is a small program.

What I am concerning most is finding a job after graduation. I know it is a tough time in the US. But i really hope to work in the US ? Can you guys give me some advice?

I graduated from the undergrad program at UT and from what I saw the grad program is not necessarily geared towards ID, but takes more of a holistic approach towards design.

In the grad program you can focus on whatever aspect of design you desire. The faculty is great and come from a variety of backgrounds. They are architects, photographers, graphic designers, typographers, furniture designers, industrial designers and design journalists who will let you explore and experiment design from all angles.

I know the program is small (maybe 10-15 grads total) and that everyone comes in with a variety of backgrounds (mostly not design related)

If you’re seeking a traditional ID education, UT is not geared towards producing industrial designers. After graduating, I decided to get an MID because I was unable to get a foot in the door as an entry level industrial designer with my work from UT.

UT is a great program for a lot of other reasons, and if you do decide to go you’ll fall in love with Austin right away. Hope this helps.

Thank you very much for your help.
I 've seen their graduation projects. They are very very interesting (not like what i thought before) and on various aspects of design.
I wonder what graduates usuallydo after leaving the university?

I think this is a good description of the program at RIT. If this is your focus, I think it might be a good place to be.

I went to RIT, and one thing I really liked was the ability to mingle, work with, and take classes with students from many different programs. You’ll find plenty of the artsy crowd in your building and can take classes in the School for American Crafts if that’s your thing (woodworking, ceramics, etc.) or take engineering classes to you heart’s content (I got a yet-to-be-accredited, though it might be by now, minor in Mechanical Engineering Technology along with a Sociology/Anthropology minor). It’s a school of geeks, but in lots of different ways, which I thought was great.

I don’t know much about the other schools, so that may be the case elsewhere, but that’s something else to consider.

Oh, and at least while I was there, the co-op program that’s super integrated into other parts of RIT was not as integrated/supported in the design school. So ask about that.

Thank you for you reply.
I am going to work on my graduate degree, I know the curriculum is very tight, i wonder do the graduates have enough time to take on a minor ? By the way, I am also very interested in Engineering and Finace. As to finding a job, is it better to take a minor like Market, Engineering or so ?

Actually I am intereted in both the REAL things and Abstract ones. What I am confused now is that is it necessary to learn the real things well befor learn something else like design strategy and management? To be honest, I take my undergraduate classes in a developing country and I do not think I am well prepared for a design profession.