RISD undergraduate ID said no...i'm a little surprised : (

to all of those going on with the financial aid debate…i applied as someone that, if accepted, would be paying the entirety of my tuition without any financial aid and i wasn’t accepted (i started the post), so…think what you will.
i’d say if schools were really giving those willing to pay that much of a break i’d be packing up, heading for providence…

Jeremiah

artbyjeremiah.blogspot.com

so then, you just didn’t make the cut. it’s rough to have to swallow that.

Lots of pros have been laid off lately - same feeling.

get used to it - think of it as getting slammed in a crit. You’ve got to have thick enough skin so that it makes you just get stronger.

We all have limits, we all have a niche. Where you went to college will only be one step in the process of finding all that out.

good luck, and stick around - keep us up to date on your progress.

i’ve definitely been rejected enough times to know that it’s a fact of life. i’ve actually framed my rejection letter from RISD and hung it on my wall so that I can see it everyday and strive to prove them wrong.

Jeremiah

ArtByJeremiah.blogspot.com

Jeremiah,

I am currently a senior in ID at RISD. I looked at some of your work and saw potential. However I feel you need a wider range of work when concerning your design projects. I know when I applied to RISD my portfolio was mostly filled with fine art drawings and paintings. However RISD Industrial Design is far different. What we mostly concentrate on is drawing and model making skills. If you want to talk more you can find me at:

paul

pgates000: sorry to be overly critical, but I just don’t see anything too special in your programme that would demand such a rigorous admission test/portfolio quality. It’s true for a lot of other college courses. It just seems that the only premium of major universities or institutes like RISD is the easy access to top internships and the prestige of being an RISD grad, rather than the educational content itself.

I’m in Ukraine right now, and I’ve just come across article in a local paper that say that a bunch of 13 year old schoolkids won the first place in Stockholm on some kind of environmental design competition. They have designed a water purification equipment based on Archimedes’ corkscrew. I mean, over there, people don’t even have have half of ID education that you are getting, and yet they keep on knocking out kickass concepts, intellectual property and graphics that equal yours. For instance, check these out:

I don’t think the OP should be worried about being rejected from RISD