RISD graduate program

I am going to be in the area on the 10th to the 12th of march and i am tring to find a way to get someone to show me around RISD and the furnature design grad program. I was quite suprised that the grad program was not able to have anyone to help me with checking the school out. I know there are specific dates to see the school, but i am not able to make them, and i am interested in seeing the school since i was just out at cranbrook for my interview this past friday.

If anyone can be of help i would appriciate it.

I would like to be in contact with a grad student or a facilty memeber if possible.

I’m curious, did the admissions people there just refuse your request for a tour or a visit?

Yeah i guess that is what you can say. I was extremely suprised when they said “i am sorry we can not do that, but there are days set that you can come to the graduate program information meetings”

then i told them, sorry i can not make it, I live out of state and i am able to get a flight in this coming weekend. And she said that there was no way they could do it, but to talk to the department that i applied to. So i called the department, and she said that there was no way that anyone could show me around, because they were all too busy.

All too busy??? for a perspective student that wants to come to school there that JUST got back from and interview with cranbrook. Not to toot my own horn, but i would think they should show a bit more interest no matter what!

Kinda give me a bad impression of the place. And to hear all this talk about RISD and Cranbrook on here and how elieist cranbrook is??? well i think the tables turned on my part … because cranbrook was more than willing to have me come there when ever i had the time. And to boot, they made me feel more at home there than i have ever felt at any school.

so

i still want to see RISD because its important that i choose the right school, but i am kinda perplexed by this

i think the answer is already there, what can RISD show you to make you change your mind?

i am not sure how i make it around this. I feel like the little man with no power. I mean we pay them, they need us to go to school there. I am suprised they are not interested in snatching up a prospective student that has had various interviews at some of there own competative schools.

really there is not muc more i can do that be proactive and try to find someone through here to help me, or see if i can get in contact with some of the students so i can at least see the school.

I can not believe this school! Some of the students are absolutly horrible there! I just got treated like a piece of shit from 2 students that think they are way above my leauge. For get it … i am done with that school.

what, exactly, did those students do/say, guest? i was there last week for an interview and although i wasn’t treated horribly, i wasn’t treated very well either. i got the impression that the students were forced to be there to answer my questions and never would have been there unless they were highly pressured to do so. i didn’t feel comfortable hanging around the studio and left very shortly. i understand that they had work to do, but don’t they have a vested interest in facilitating the admissions process as each prospective student that ends up there will represent a large percentage of the studio in a small program like that?

i can only infer that there isn’t much commradarie there - and little interest in - let alone passion for - the program itself. the strange thing, though, is that they didn’t seem terribly unhappy either. although maybe i was unable to pick up a disgruntledness in such a short time. again, i can’t say that i was treated terribly by any means, but i almost wish that they had so i could have a concrete reason to cross that school off my list!

any other thoughts from people looking at RISD? any comparisons with Cranbrook - it seems that many students look at both schools?

what, exactly, did those students do/say, guest? i was there last week for an interview and although i wasn’t treated horribly, i wasn’t treated very well either. i got the impression that the students were forced to be there to answer my questions and never would have been there unless they were highly pressured to do so. i didn’t feel comfortable hanging around the studio and left very shortly. i understand that they had work to do, but don’t they have a vested interest in facilitating the admissions process as each prospective student that ends up there will represent a large percentage of the studio in a small program like that?

i can only infer that there isn’t much commradarie there - and little interest in - let alone passion for - the program itself. the strange thing, though, is that they didn’t seem terribly unhappy either. although maybe i was unable to pick up a disgruntledness in such a short time. again, i can’t say that i was treated terribly by any means, but i almost wish that they had so i could have a concrete reason to cross that school off my list!

any other thoughts from people looking at RISD? any comparisons with Cranbrook - it seems that many students look at both schools?

i recently had the pleasure of visiting cranbrook, although not there for my own interview, i attended with my significant other.

i must say that i was greatly impressed with the faculty and students. everyone knew my name by the end of the day, and i got a personal tour of the environs from a student while everyone was in their interviews. it’s the little things that count…

seeing as i will be relocating, i realized that it was important for me to see the world that my s.o. was going to be inhabiting for the next few years, and by assocation, what my world would entail. needless to say, i wanted to move in to my own studio space there right away! despite being located in perhaps the most beaten-down city in the world (okay, bloomfield hills is nice…detroit ain’t…), there is this almost reverential hush that descends on one’s soul when you hit the campus.

or at least that’s how i felt.

again, this is an outsider’s viewpoint. and i grew up on the east coast… :wink:

i recommend checking it out. seems to be the ideal fit for designers who have a strong set of personal direction, and want to feed off of their fellow students rather than compete with them…

cheers,
B.I.

i think another good way to perhaps figure out which one you want to go to is by talking to the graduates. I graduated from Cranbrook and cannot say enough good things about my experience there. It was not perfect, and certainly there were problems, but this is true at any school, but any school will not produce students who then laud the program, after they graduate…as I am.

I think what’s most important about your decision, is how you feel there. Most schools (will regardless) have some sort of success story of their graduates. So check out how you respond to the place…AND…

ESPECIALLY…Look at the work coming out of the program, past and present.

What kind of work is coming out of RISD, what kind of work is coming out of Cranbrook? Which do you resonate with?

Good luck!

exactly.

I went to RISD for undergrad in fine arts, so forgive me if my view is a little skewed. Each department is so incrediably close knit, the only competitiveness is within yourself but you see that that is within everyone else as well. if you want the contact between departments, you have to make it yourself (ie: furniture and id)

typically students visit during the “programmed” times or once they are accepted. i remember the grad coordinator had a prospective grad student from california that was visiting and they really didn’t know what to do with her. i was surprised that the admissions office didn’t do more, but the grad coordinator asked me (in passing) if i would show her around the department, show her the school, etc. it was very strange and i never figured out if it was because she just dropped by or because they had nothing set up. i do know that if you are accepted you can visit for days, go to critiques, the whole package. (i briefly looked at the grad ID program there and they were very open about visiting, too. actually, the grad student that toured us through the id depatment gave out his email, we talked to other grad students that were inthe studio, sat down with two profs and i contacted one of them a few times with questions and everyone was so very receptive.)

as far as the furniture grad program goes- its a very small department and everyone is very close, dinner parties, impromtu critiques, trips to lumber yard, etc. i was surprised that you said they seemed “too into themselves” because i never got that impression, so either 1.its changed in the past few years 2. just happened to chat up the “wrong” person 3. (see above quote) it just isn’t the right atmospher for you (and i felt that i completely got this vibe from cranbrook, so go figure!)

i wouldn’t right risd off immediately because of how they handle prospective student visits (do you realize just how many students apply???) but if you can not identify with the work or the students (and i would visit first- contact the department head AFTER you are accepted) that would give me immediate cause to say hello to cranbrook!