RIM's Answer to the iPad

Tablets has been around for years and years way before iPad. Not all new tablets from here on out should be considered an iPad “clone” IMO. Just a pet-peave of everything being compared to Apple… :mrgreen:

While it’s true there have been “tablet computers” in the past there was nothing like the ipad. What would you compare this to that came prior to the ipad?

What’s great about the competition coming out with rival products is its forces the prices down and they keep adding new features quicker.

The real plus for apple iphone and ipad are the apps.

I find it interesting how RIM has put their vote in with the 7.3" crowd along with Samsung vs the 10" of the iPad. Personally, I would prefer this smaller size and would be willing to sacrifice some real estate for increased portability. Kudos to RIM though, seems as though this product if launch isn’t delayed may bring them closer to that ultra-competitive bleeding edge.

It’s not even out yet? Seems more fast follower than bleeding edge. You have to think that Apple has got the next thing well under way. If you don’t fully leap frog them, I think you never have a chance. Kind of the Zune scenario. It’s not enough to merely compete, you must lead in a thoughtful and consistent manner.

Personally, instead of a brief with an Apple product on it, I’d rather see a strategy hell bent on dethroning them. Funny thing is, I think they would welcome it. Having worked at a dominant brand, there is an element of excitement when the competition brings it.

I’d like to see some of these companies challenge the Apple vision. to date they all just seem to blindly follow it. where’s the thought here? portable multimedia devices like the ipad are in their infancy, many people expected the ipad to be very different to what it is, and alot were dissapointed with it on its release. You would have to think there are alot of other possible directions to take the market in, but again the competition find it easier to be sheep.

on a side note i dont get why this isn’t network enabled. why should it need to access my blackberry (which i dont own) and leech it’s network connectivity?.

IMO the only thing iPad has that others don’t is the “hip” software (though other types of apps has been around prior, just these ones have a bigger selling point to the iPad itself) and a multi-touch screen. Older tablets usually uses a single-point touch screen or a stylus. Besides that, there’s tons of old tablets that are more powerful than the current iPad.
The Archos has been around for awhile now, can download “apps” as well. Their current models (as with most current tablets) run a full version of Windows (multi-tasking, apps, etc), and cheaper:

HP TC-1000 from 2003. Screen is removable from the base, companies still use them for field work. Shape looks familiar too:

Shapes has been similar to one another except for a few exceptions: http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/01/ipad-hp-tablet-apple-tablet-pc-marketshare.jpg

Though tablets before iPad were “geeky” and now they’re “hip”. Software has been similar (apps has been around Windows and Linux for awhile or as 3rd party-plugins), but not exactly like iPad because it’s proprietary. But still nothing new, just hip now. My 6 year old tablet can do everything the iPad can and more, except multi-touch. But I have 256-point of pressure with my stylus that I prefer to have, and I can multi-task. But it doesn’t have the hip brand factor so people don’t care… :confused:

I thought about posting about the Playbook this morning. I don’t think it’s worth the effort.

FAIL

It will have Wifi and says they are working on 3G & 4G versions.

Meh. Media tablets are so April 2010…

I actually think this will be marginally successful. To all of you doubters: you’re not their target market. Seriously. RIM’s targeting their core market (corporations, big companies) who already have the Blackberry Enterprise Service/System set up for their employees. This would bring a lot of utility to their companies, who aren’t willing to invest in the iPad, which is more entertainment than business. High security, familiar reliability, integration with existing services. The hardware will probably be a little outdated by the time it comes out. It will definitely not fail as long as their smartphones don’t fail.

I’m not in their target market, so I’ll never own one, but competition brings new advances. I think some of the presentation tools and the relationship between Blackberry smartphones is very intriguing, and something that the iPad’s not that established in.

And Zierlabs: of course it’s network enabled…

I actually think this will be marginally successful. To all of you doubters: you’re not their target market. Seriously. RIM’s targeting their core market (corporations, big companies) who already have the Blackberry Enterprise Service/System set up for their employees. This would bring a lot of utility to their companies, who aren’t willing to invest in the iPad, which is more entertainment than business. High security, familiar reliability, integration with existing services. The hardware will probably be a little outdated by the time it comes out. It will definitely not fail as long as their smartphones don’t fail.

I’m not in their target market, so I’ll never own one, but competition brings new advances. I think some of the presentation tools and the relationship between Blackberry smartphones is very intriguing, and something that the iPad’s not that established in.

And Zierlabs: of course it’s network enabled…

That was my initial thought too. Q1 2011 is a loooong time to have it sitting around too. Most smartphones will have comparable hardware spec by that time.

I’m curious about the UI though and how it integrates with peoples BBs. UI is the big story with these tablets and hopefully this will be good. Palm’s WebOS was fantastic, but unfortunately burdened by miserable hardware. My fingers are crossed for something good.

Funny you say this…because these marketing shots are way off that mark. Games and a picture frame? yes the WSJ is in the background but who cares if it can render specially formated websites (that is a bare minimum for a device like this). While I can agree that there is a place for blackberry in the market, this device doesn’t embrace it enough.

Working on? How hard can it be?

From a business perspective, maybe it will let them continue to compete against Apple’s offerings. From a design perspective it looks like what an iPad from 2006 would have looked like.

already has it"Wi-Fi - 802.11 a/b/g/n"

:
like real Flash support, USB, a camera, HDMI, and multi-tasking? The iPad is what it should have in 2006.

Are you saying apples black rectangle is better than RIM’s black rectangle?

As long as I don’t have to sync to itunes to do anything, I like it.

Ditto to that.