rhino v.s. alias v.s. 3ds v.s. Maya

we are having a big discussion where I work re:

• Rhino
  • Alias
  • 3dS
  • Maya

Our need is basic product modeling and character animation.

Most say Maya & 3dS for basic character animation. The other group is Rhino & Alias for product modeling. I am leaving out Pro-E and Solidworks as these packages are far too CPU intensive and expensive for our needs.

I say Rhino is best all around, Maya is very expensive but good, and 3DS just might be the middle of the road option. Thoughts? Specific personal examples would be super if you have such experience.

Why am I asking this? because I searched for 3 days to find a comparison chart that contained these 3 basic programs and no go. The closest I have found is this,

http://wiki.cgsociety.org/index.php/Comparison_of_3d_tools

I was actually looking for a chart with more product design oriented packages such as Rhino, Alias, Pro-e, etc., but I wasn’t able to find it anywhere.

Thanks in advnace for the discussion this should be sure to generate.

Rhino is not an animation package.

If you are looking to do strictly product visualization (IE pretty pictures on the computer that never need to go to rapid prototypes or any type of production) then Maya, 3D Studio, Cinema 4D, Soft Image are all fine tools.

If you need to create physical objects from your product geometry then thats another story.

absolutely correct
however flamingo which is a basic add-on for rhino does have the necessary animation capabilities.

the only issue is that students should be exposed to the program that just about every major design studio uses.

well that is my two cents.

well first off no one would model a character in Alias or Rhino… Maybe a belt buckle or a gun… not the character itself. … Maybe T-Splines… But i don’t think any serious studios use t-splines to develop characters. (yet) And the problem is that the character still needs to be rigged and to do that you need a polygon.

Maya has all there modelers built inside it. i.e. 1 Sub divisional surface (like t-spines) … 2 Nurbs surfaces (a bit limited in maya compared to Rhino and Alias) and 3 Polygons.

Every character you see on movies today starts out as a polygon cube.

Although Alias and rhino will do polygons its not the same tools available in maya.

the process for character development is 1 concept sketch the character complete with doodles face expressions 2 model the character…3 rig the character … 4 set up textures for the character (often done with z-brush) and 5 animate the character.

You simply can’t beat maya unless you like command prompts of renderman and pixar complexities…

And Maya is not that expensive. What quotes did you get?

And the best part is that once you get a couple years on maya it’s darn easy to get a job in industry… Dynamics and animators are probably the highest paid with riggers coming in a close third. modelers are usually interns or the low guys on the family tree

Actually, its done all the time in Rhino. Rhino is a great character modeller. It has translation issues, so it isn’t ideal for workflow purposes.

Hrrmmm…not sure I agree with this, but I haven’t been looking at this over the last 3 years or so.

agreed.

Another question is what industry you’re doing the character modelling for. If your looking at the game industry, 3DS Max has a huge foothold there.

If money really is an issue, look at Blender. Its free.

I have said it a thousand times before, worry less about the 3D tool and more about the workflow and process of creating a 3D Character. There are a TON of 3D character modelling books. All of them teach more about the process and less about a specific 3D tool. If you can create a kick-ass character in Rhino, export it to Blender and Animate it well, you will get a job. Work on the skills of character creation and animation timing.

If you’re going to model in Rhino, you need to be very aware of your surface construction and curve points when constructing. More where there is more detail and bending going on. Again, as DE alludes to, modelling in the native package you will be rigging in is ideal.

You simply can’t beat maya unless you like command prompts of renderman and pixar complexities…

And Maya is not that expensive. What quotes did you get?

And the best part is that once you get a couple years on maya it’s darn easy to get a job in industry… Dynamics and animators are probably the highest paid with riggers coming in a close third. modelers are usually interns or the low guys on the family tree[/quote]

yep, can’t disagree with anything you have said, except for the fact that product design studios do not touch maya.

poduct designers go rhino for 1st runs, then solidworks or pro-e for more advanced engineering. one could even argue that alias has the best mid range as you can go from quick spetches straight to manuf tolerences, but for folks who have never touched a modeler like alias, I think it is a bit complex.

yes, character modeling, Maya, product design, Rhino

The big problem is you have to remodel the nurbs geometry so you can rig up the muscle and bones under neath and all that needs to be native polygon geometry. Of course you can convert nurbs inside maya to all three…

Just better to say keep in in maya.

Now, that I agree with :wink:

I got the couple posts mixed up… moved this one over here…

you should talk to character animators and ask them what they use. Movies… 99.2 percent will say maya. 70 percent of the game animators (my guess) use Max. .03 use alias (southpark pre 2004) and a far less number use rhino. And if you did use Rhino you cant convert that data to a Rig-able Polygon. Remember you need polygons to get the muscle and bones to buldge out of the skinned geometry.

Then to back up your information you should then look at the job boards and see what character animation consultancies (and ILM) folks are using for requirements.

To boot I would not use this board to discuss such things as Character Animation. Most folks on this board are only curios to character animation and not professionals in industry. CGTALK.COM is a better place to explore those ideals.

http://forums.thegnomonworkshop.com/
http://forums.cgsociety.org/ < your list…

Most of our character animation students go on to Gnoman BTW
You have to know maya before you go there with your portfolio.

Second post summed it all up. Rhino is in a different league.

P.S. We have a four hour toe and toe nail workshop/tutor in maya that is all in polygons.