rhino or solidworks

i was thinking about trying to learn 1 of these programs… which one would be benificial in the industry

i have been seeing alot of jobs that require solidworks hence my question… just looking to be more marketable because this architecture route isnt going anywhere…

i do know cad and some basic 3d cad… but looking to expand my 3d/designing

thanks

Both are beneficial. They are different types of programs. Solidworks is a parametric solid modelling tool and Rhino is a surface modelling tool. You can learn one off the bat, but both have their applications in the real world and in different stages of production.

You can’t go wrong with either one. They both have great learning curves and good interfaces as well as a pretty powerful toolset.

i think solidworks is more for production work… if you need to have parts made/etc…

i have rhino and been messing with it a bit…

but what if i want to have a watch/design prototyped up, would solidworks work the best?

thanks

learn one first… then the other. Don’t make a decision on which one.

Both softwares are capable of nearly identical results. Rhino is used in plenty of areas, including jewelry design.

http://gallery.rhino3d.com/Default.asp?language=&g=4

The tool that is best is whatever helps YOU develop your ideas as fast as possible and without compromising your design INTENT.

ahhh…

for the rendering aspects… i heard that using 3dmax is good… but i know there’s probably plugins for rhino to make the same results…

i’m starting out fresh here so bear with me here…hehehe

b

Rendering shouldn’t be all that much of a concern – neither program has a fantastic native rendering plug-in, but both can export to STEP or other interchange format which can then be used in Hypershot, ImageStudio, Maxwell, etc. And most of these renderers now have direct plug-ins for both SW and Rhino. The workflow for rendering out of either package is quite similar, and both can achieve good results.

Learn to think in 3D FIRST! To Design-Engine’s point…pick one. You can’t lose with either choice.

Don’t focus on the rendering, focus on the 3D modeling and the translation of the image in your head to a 3D object. Until you break that barrier, the name of the software package won’t mean squat for you.

cryzko, just curious, why are you bailing on architecture?

just really tired of it…

i have been trying to get back into the firms since 2004 after i had major knee surgury and could no longer do construction.

when i manage to get interviews at firms, its the same b.s. reasons… not enough office experience/this/that or the other…

but yet i have a strong portfolio that reflects design/build/etc…

now, with all the programs involved with architecture… revit/cad/photoshop/illustrator/sketchup/rhino/etc… it’s adds more reasons why i’m not marketable…

as much as i like architecture and want to create spaces/projects/etc… i’m running out of time here to push my way back into the firms…

i’m more of a product/human scale designer and like to push ideas in a few different areas…

if i manage to find an arch. job soon, then i’ll take it and proceed…but the way everything has been over the years… i sort of lost hope…

i would have to get hired in at entry-level to even get looked at…

i know alot of talented people that have architecture degrees and are actually thinking about leaving the profession …

figured if i can learn a few modelling programs then i can boost the portfolio and continue with finding an outlet that i can actually make some decent money… this nickle/dime stuff is for the birds… 8 years and counting… gets old…

That being said have you thought about grad school for architecture?

i was looking into grad school and was accepted to cranbrook (in michigan) for both the architecture and the 3d/id programs.

i was going to get my m.a. in industrial design but at the time, i had some issues with my previous b.s. loan so i couldnt get funding…

i would like to teach and have my own side firm…

if i can hustle in some model work then i can take care of the bills…

but now, most architecture school want you to be a registered architect to teach studios… alot of schools are leaning that way… so i need to get the IDP/intern credits in a firm before i can take the exams…

i’m sure something will come up… just a pain trying to stay up to date with programs/etc especially when i dont use them nor needed to use them

b

I thought the IDP phase took around 3 years to acquire the credits to take the ARE in most states. Didn’t you mention that you have 8 years under your belt?

yeah…it takes about 2-3 years…

but you have to have the credits while working under a licensed architect. all my hours were on my own so i can’t count them for anything. i’m still looking into it but i dont think i’ll have a chance. hence the reason why i need to work in a firm.

b

Um, Cranbrook is stellar. I would have sold everything I would have to, to get it to work (get dodgy loans, myrichunckle.com and the like). I have met Scott Klinker a few times and I think it would be amazing to work with him.

I would say learn both, I learned SW first then Rhino. I started to learn 3DS but I would not say I have a firm understanding of it yet. Rhino can be downloaded for free from their site as a trial; you get like 25 saves before you need to get a new version. So if I were you I would download that and do some tutorials to cut your teeth. Then I would save my pennies and take a class at a Jr. College or at someplace like design-engine (I am not affiliated with Design - Engine). Also I would look at lesser institutions, ones that will pay you to go to grad school, or at least forgive the debt of it. Maybe a mid-west school, Kansas, Notre Dame, Illinois, Purdue, the schools in Wisconsin. They are good, and might get you to the ends you desire.

i’ve been messing with revit too… since it’s supposed to be some new hotness program that firms are using…

i swear…it’s a pain to try to get updated with programs especially when you dont use them at all…

Solidworks.

I’ve learned both, Rhino first, then SW. You can still do some very complex organic shapes and SW will handle complex fillets/patches much better than rhino. Also SW allows you to go back in the model’s history and make changes. Trust me, if you have to just choose one, do SW

so i’m not really liking revit…

i’m gonna work on rhino a bit and try to find a copy of solidworks…

i should have went the product design/id route instead of architecture…grrr

b

By the way there is a discussion about curve analysis tools on a separate forum that is similar to this discussion comparing Pro/E to Alias studio instead… Much more technical however. Basically that Alias can convert degree of the curve up and down…

http://www.mcadcentral.com/proe/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38085&PN=1&TPN=1

hmmmm

interesting