Rhino Learning Curve

Hey guys,
I wonder how long would it take to learn Rhino? I have autocad and 3dmax experience. Also, is there any way to speed-up the learning process?
Thanks in advance…
Bekir.

Rhino is one of the easiest programs to learn, especially if you have prior 3D modeling experience.

My advice is to go through the tutorials. They tend to give you crash course in the various modeling methods to using Rhino.

It is a very affordable program, but there are certain features that don’t always seem to work, at least for me, but I am running V2, perhaps V3 runs smoother. Flamingo is a decent enough rendering program as a plug-in for Rhino, but it seems to take a long time. If you know 3DS Max, you can save Rhino files as a 3DS file and import it into Max.

If you work at it, you can pick it up within a week.

I had never used 3D before Rhino, but it took me about a day to figure out the UI, a week to get comfortable and about a month to get proficient in most of the really common functions. Even today I maybe use 25% of the available commands and I can model or draw just about anything I need.

The viewport keyboard/mouse controls are so good I find myself trying to use them in other software.

:)ensen.

Ok, thank you for your replies.
I have another question then. I downloaded V3 evolution version from their website. I “study” it almost every day. It seems very easy to use. I am already making some experiments. (like surfacing and nurbs) Ok…
My question is: can we printout quality “production drawings” out of it?
Thank you very much for your help, you guys rock!

One of my favorite features of Rhino is: Dimension>Make 2D Drawing. Position your perspective view for a nice 3/4 shot, select everything and go to dimension>make 2d drawing, then specify, standard 4 view. (there are also a bunch of other cool features like hidden lines and what not) It will take a minute but in your Top View you will see a standard 3 view orthographic drawing plus a nice persepective line drawing. From here you can dimension your 2d drawing and export to a variety of 2d formats, I’d probably recommend exporting to Illustrator and then formating everything nicely, and possibly add some color before you print. This is a great way to make presentations quickly without assigning materials and doing time consuming rendering.

Rhino does not have the extensive control over dimensions and lineweights like Autocad does and that is not what it was designed for. If you plan to create accurate dimesioned drawings, export 2D data to AutoCAD.

Version 4 of Rhino will have improved dimensioning and line weight control.

So?

Rhino 4 is still over a year away.

As bill said V4 vill have lots of new stuff for 2d, first betas are out.

You can also buy lino for integrated 2d

http://www.voidoid.com/lino/index.htm

And most importantly join the rhino NG

Best NG around.

jape