rhino feature comparison chart

boys and girls, I have searched hi and low
I need a comparion feature chart for rhino, maya, 3ds, maybe alias and pro-e

I looked all over the internet and nothing I can’t believe it is not out there.
anyone have this for rhino v4? hell, i will even take a lower version cmpare.

really I would love someting like the complete comparison of “digital artist” packages from cgs societry & IEEE but I will take whatever I can get.

for reference:
http://wiki.cgsociety.org/index.php/Comparison_of_3d_tools

thanks in advance

Well I can give you a quick rundown that you won’t find much comparison because almost every program you named (besides Alias) is in a differentt league.

Maya and 3D Studio are primarily animation/rendering tools. They’re based around polygon and subdivision surface modeling (with a tiny bit of NURBS functionality). They are great for making pretty pictures but that is it.

Pro E and similar tools (like Catia, Solidworks) are primarily solid modellers. Great for creation of physical parts and complex engineering features, though typically less flexible when it comes to complex form and surfacing.

Alias and Rhino are the most similar. They are both NURBS surface modellers which are excellent for ID as they provide a lot of features which allow you to quickly build complex organic forms and rapidly change and iterate those forms. Alias is the more powerful, but more expensive and complex tool.

Overall Rhino is a great tool as it has a very straightforward learning curve and can be used in ID to generate parts for rapid prototyping or even production. It also has a bunch of great rendering plugins like Vray and Maxwell.

it would be good to have this detail as some folks where I work are evaluating Maya and I am suggesting Rhino for it’s multi specific application capabailities, so to make it easy, I’m looking for a comparison chart.

we know it is rhino, alias, solidworks, and pro-e, in the product category

due to the need for NURBS modeling in product design we might use 3Ds Max, Blender, Cinema 4D, Maya

for the group we are dealing with, the faster learning curve and the more multiapplication the better. plus we are dealing with a room full of Apple iMac G3 600MHz machines. Not sure Maya will even be able to run on that.

any help would be great!

For your reference. Out of the applications you named I believe Maya is the ONLY application that will run on a native Mac. The last time I looked all of that software was PC only and good luck running CAD software in a virtual machine.

yes, but would you try running Maya on a Apple iMac G3 600MHz machine?

a comparison chart is how moms purchase products for their kids. Lets see “which watercraft goes the fastest”.

Thats why maya has a boolien operation. No body uses that crap but since max has it so does maya… because of stupid lists like this. :wink:

hahah, well, when you are about to drop a lot of cash and you are talking to folks who might not be design software capable, you have to provide all the details.

booleans? oh, common, you have to do it. you can’t build all your curves fron scratch you know. :slight_smile: especially when you are living in the Pro_E world. Hehe.

your best way of communicating the differences might be to show them examples of each product web site. in essence they can all model surfaces in 3D but each of them are honed for their particular market segment.

yes, but there is far too much marketing talk on these sites
I just want pure data and comparisons

in the end all the packages can make pretty pictures and product specs, but for me it is:

• simplicity to learn
  • market acceptance & use
  • price

god save me if someone hasn’t done a chart of these
it has to be out there somewhere :slight_smile:

absolutely correct rhino is not the software to use for character animation
really the key here was the rhino / alias comparison

in my 1st post where I talk about the CGI socitey links is where a complete software comparison is made.

however for product design it is the rhino world that I am trying to find a comparison chart on so I can convince everyone this is the defacto standard for quick and dirty product design

Instead of quick and dirty … related your software tool and functions to workflow. It just sounds better.

Use specific software in terms of workflow, you will sell it better… But remember there are many workflows and persons to convince in product design. There are design managers and engineering managers… We all know those managers should just let you use the tool you feel comfortable with. Its far better letting you use rhino over photoshop… even tho illustrator and photoshop may be apart of your personal process. Please don’t be fearful of trying new workflows either. For example, I am a hard core Solid modeler person yet i have fun proving form in Maya.

For example: I use pencil and paper, skip illustrator and go right to
rhino for quick 2d and 3d concept models. Knowing the engineers like to remodel the product and take advantage of assembly functions and cross sections thru assemblies in Solidworks or proe so they can maintain modification for tooling, I need rhino because of the lack of constraints and how fast I can model. I don’t need to concern myself with to many constraints at this stage of my process because my concern is the overall form. That comes later.

One more thing… I keep editing my post…

After a participant of one of my classes learns all the tools in what ever creative fashion next, we teach a specific workflow. One example to engineers interested in working with industrial desingers might be to teach them to capture the integrity of a designers form. Be it a carved model or a photoshop model. It is a very different workflow for me to tech an engineer to import an iges model and remodel that in a parametric modeler. And the cool part is that parametric model can be created very fast because the base form is already worked out. And it may have been a struggle for the designer to get to that form… That remodeling in SW or Pro/E can be very fast because of that import data. That is an killer workflow that is documented in many companies.

One industrial designer I know was a bad ass at Pro/E in 1993… Now he is in charge of design at Target.

Another friend who was/is a high end Alias user and taught many classes for us over the past 10 years has made the conversion to Rhino. When that happens you have to take notice.

Bart,

Well, you last post really is what I was looking for.
I just needed someone who works in the industry to explain that the difficulty of design in the early stages is the use for Rhino and then the engineering who take the second steps in the workflow go to the Pro-E or Solidworks level which is just not necessary for the design portion of the process.

Armed with this, I think that the details and workflow issues of Rhino speak for themselves.

Of course this is not the case with Animation or character based work, but then again, that is not why we are here, and again, this is not something that you are going to use Maya for.

If anyone else has any extra stuff, that would just be great.
Thanks again Bart

The software will run. I used to run Maya on my Pentium 2- 400. But don’t expect to be doing super complex models, using advanced rendering features, or cranking out an animation in less than a week.

A dual core computer with 4 gigs of ram can be had for under $400. If you’re spending $1000-5000+ on software but can’t afford to run it on a proper computer, then the priorities need to be straightened out.

I second this, you guys need new workstations. If you have to stick with a mac, even the $600 mini will incinerate a G3 imac like yours. I pity your team. And I’m pretty certain you won’t be able to run the newest version of Maya on it. Maybe an old release.

We use Rhino in our studio, the price/performance can’t be beat in our opinion.

everyone I know who runs maya has a mac and pc for all the applications they run to produce their work. both.

ok guys, now the only thing i need is someone here in paris that can teach a rhino 3d class at Parsons Paris in my program.

any ideas?
can you pass me onto anyone you know in paris

ths is getting harder than I thought to find the right person

Yuo got to email McNeel Associates, the makers of Rhino, and ask. They teach it in many places worldwide and may be able to refer you to a good Rhino teacher. Their standard Level 1 and II tutorials are a good start.

www.rhino3d.com

did that no response

and not to mention they will charge insane amounts
this is why I am looking for someone local

if anyone has any ideas or friends who can teach Rhino level 1&2 here in paris, that would be great.

thanks in advance!

Based on your criteria :

• simplicity to learn
  • market acceptance & use
  • price

Rhino wins all three easily. I’ve used every app you mentioned except for Pro-E, which loses on price and complexity.

As for training, I’ve done quite a bit of professional classes, but it sounds like you need to adjust your budget. The McNeel trainers are the cheapest trainers, primarily because they make money selling software. (I am not saying they are not quite good; just that they are very reasonable.)

You need to look at the training as in investment. How much is the time of 6-12 employees worth – if they can get productive a month or two faster? If they are learning on their own time, make that a year or more! When you add up the computers, software, and employee training time, the trainer fee will probably be the least expensive part.