Resume Critique

I’m looking for some feedback on my resume before I start firing it out to potential employers. I’ve tried to make it look designed, but not overly so. The layout fits with the design of my portfolio website and small sample print portfolio.

GIF attached

Looks pretty good, nice clean layout, simple information hierarchy…

I think the Achievements section is a bit off. I think if you add a tittle to that heading, like you do with all the other entries, it will read better. Like “2009 NASA Moonbuggy Race, Carlton U Team” or similar.

Nice and clean yet does read as designed.

some comments, all visual based. I didn’t even review the content yet, honestly. (will try to do so later).

1. I’d agree on the achievements section as Yo mentioned. To me, it actually should be in your work experience section, as it’s not really an achievement but more of a practical experience. achievements should be things like awards, commendations, etc.

2. I’m also not% sure on the total use of italics for the body copy. Looks nice, but maybe a bit hard to read. Maybe you could consider using it as another level of hierarchy (ie. italics only for the dates, proper names, etc.).

I’m pretty picky typographically so heres a few other small things-

1. the shorter underline under your address also seems a bit unconnected to me as well (i realize it aligns with the URL, but seems disconnected to the other grid elements. i feel it should either align with the end of the underline under your name (which itself might be better aligned with something - maybe right margin as well), or go all the way to the right margin of type).

2. I’d shift the Lowe9 logo a hair left to visually align with the section titles better. It looks correctly left aligned, but because of the thin serif on the L needs fine adjustment to look visually aligned. It could also use to be a bit lower below the underline similar to the spacing of the Education title or URL below the line.

3. replace you dashes with em dashes (a bit longer dashes).

4. as well, check your linespacing. It looks like you use a double line spacing for between sections, but only single between the name, address and first content section. seems a bit funny.

5. another tiny thing is the left justification of the A in your name and the I in Industrial designer. You should manually align those left.

6. might want to add “canada” to the address. if you use the +1 (expecting they are out of north america, Canada is helpful and more consistent.

7. break in the underline under Industrial Designer has more space on the right of the g than the left. should be equal.

8. you have a widow (single word on a line) in the freelance graphic designer text. adjust the tracking to fit “materials” onto the line above it. you may also want to consider tracking out the last line of the freelance model maker text since it is so close to being right aligned with the rest of the body copy to match the right margin alignment.

keep in mind these are all tiny things I’m sure most prospective employers would never see or care about…I just have too much time on my hands and love these detail sort of things… Not nitpicking in any personal way. I comment because i care… :slight_smile:

otherwise pretty solid. great job in typographic restraint.The break in the underline in the title block alone while basic is very strong and a good element. You might want to even consider customizing the title blog even more a tiny bit, for example replacing the g with a custom g from a different font similar to what I did on a previous logo for a client based on Helvetica like this-

R

PS. Best of luck for a fellow CUSID student! How you liking the program? Give my best to TG (Thomas Garvey)if you see him.

The italics are really hard to read in paragraph form. You could just remove the italic, and since the font size isn’t bolded/smaller, it will read easier and still be obvious that it is the ‘descriptive’ part

Otherwise, I like the layout

The Achievement section should be tweaked.

Also, what about skills? All the generic stuff people expect from you to know how to do and know how to use.

edit- one more thing. the use of ONE color on there might make it scream. eg; if your name was RED, or purple, seafoam. you could also play around with an 80-90% grey for a line or two of the resume. it would break it up, but almost at a subconscious level.

metal working, not forming.

Forming doesn’t really go with metal unless you are casting I would say…

If you have bent sheet metal on a press brake then you have formed metal. I believe he is referring to this.

thanks for in depth feedback Richard. I was aware of the glaringly obvious misaligned space on the Industrial Designer Underline, but alot of the others missed my eye. Its quite the hectic time with exams and trying to land some kind of internship. I’ve fixed up all the little things, and while only people like you and i may notice them, the entire design just has the little extra now.

I’ll give my regards to TG today for you. It’s 4th year review, but I’ll try to catch him on a break. I need to talk to him anyways, I missed my studio pin up as I was in Alabama competing in the moon buggy competition. It was quite the experience and I’m hoping it helps in the internship search. We were featured on Discovery Channel’s Daily Planet on Monday night, there is even a brief shot of me on the vacuum form machine in the shop.

I’ve really enjoyed the program this far, but I’m a little disillusioned with this past semester. The school hired a new prof last year, Won Joon Chung. Hes an excellent designer but I feel hes not the greatest prof. That and he abandoned our studio for the last month to work on his PhD. Ross Nicholson came in to replace him, and while Ross is an excellent guy, the projects he assigned felt like rehashes of simple 2nd year projects. But every project is what you make of it.

i still personally would put metal working… sounds better and more professional…

I have asked this question to people numerous times and get mixed responses…

Does anyone really need to include Word in any list of software proficiencies? I feel like it would be very difficult to find a student who doesn’t know how to use the program or anything similar word processor.

I can understand putting powerpoint and excel as both of those programs can get fairly intense, especially excel.

If you’re going for a job and have some work experience, why put education first? List everything in order of importance so that the prospective employer reads the most relevant things first. I understand your reasoning, because you’re still in education, so in this case, you could argue it both ways, but I’d still be tempted to list work experience above education, because it will have more impact.

If you are a professional, yes experience first. as a student or recent grad however i think putting education first can help explain the lack of much experience or full time positions. otherwise someone may read the thin experience first, think that you just aren’t so good, and not realize you are still or was until recently a student. it helps set up your resume for an employer to know where you are at, IMHO.

R

First of all the most important part is the sampler that you provide along with the resume.

Keep in mind that many potential employers receive 200-500 applications so you have just 2-5 seconds to grab their attention and prove your application needs further reading. This quick decision will be based upon scanning the visuals and only some of the resume.

So in your sampler only include the best visuals (not your full portfolio), include some small rough sketches, and highlight /color the one or two best points in your resume.

The application (resume + sampler) is IMO more important than the portfolio itself. It has to communicate your talents within seconds, and stand out from hundreds of others. Whereas your portfolio is only a small part of the interview and any imperfections can be ironed out verbally.