Reshoring trends

Anyone seeing this trend tangibly affect their design business? I’m based in Florida now and do not consider China anymore like I used to for manufacturing my parts.

Overall I’d agree that China isn’t the default manufacturing partner that it was even 10 years ago, but I don’t agree with any of this guy’s reasoning. These decisions are not being made because executives are suddenly smarter, or more aware of geopolitical risk, or better able to see the bigger picture - even if that’s what the “top Wall Street figures” tell you when you softball them some random survey questions that will make them look good to answer a certain way. It’s simply happening because it’s more expensive to make things in China than it used to be, often exponentially so, due to rising labor and material costs and the soft trade war started during the previous administration.

Penny pinchers always gonna penny pinch. Let’s not try to make them out to be smarter and more savvy than they really are.

As engelhjs wrote, it has always been and always will be a numbers game. Country of origin does not move the sales needle, only the costs needle.