Requirement for Final Year Student

Is it a requirement for final year student to create a 1:1 scale model for the projects ?

Impossible to say without knowing what and where you go to school.
This differs from school to school and year to year.
You should get all this info on requirements and deliverables from your department.

However, if feasible, a 1:1 always helps to experience the design most realistically.

Bepster said it best.

For my schooling we were building full scale prototypes during our second year out of five years total.

Depends on projects also: “smaller” scale products like furniture, households items, etc then yes… larger scale projects like exhibition spaces, housing, cars, etc then no.

Ask yourself this question: If you haven’t made a physical mockup, whether its a high quality model, low fidelity foam mockup, or a rapid prototype - you need to ask yourself “How do I know this design is any good?” More importantly, how do you know it’s as good as it can be?

Even when students in my school were designing a train locomotive, they pulled all their desks to the edges of the studio, and built a 1:1 mockup out of sheets and 2x4’s so they could make sure they were making valid assumptions regarding the space. If you just make a pretty rendering and assume it’s going to be good, your end result will probably be crap.

true.

Just check on my product for a 1:2 scale for a rapid prototyping which cost up to $500 … i guess it might cost more than i thought…

Ask for a donation of services or reduced pricing since you are a student. Some companies are willing to do that for students. I was able to save over $5000 in 5-axis CNC machining costs by using a company that works with students and startup companies. The company I worked with gets a huge write off and refund of operating costs by providing this service.

what are you making? There may be other alternatives in making a model besides 3d printing

$500 is probably reasonable depending on the part.

Keep in mind most RP costs are dependant on material and different vendors will quote you different prices. For example if you can shell your part and reduce the internal material, you can probably cut even more cost out of it.

no need to go RP. just think how it might have been done 10 years ago (yes, I’m dating myself), where RP was pretty much out of reach for any student. All but the most super complex thing can be likely done in wood, foam, vac form, etc.

R

I’m not so sure I agree with old fashioned appearance modelling. I understand the value of having students making an appearance model the good old fashioned way, but I think it’s a skill thats more about grunt work and less about being a good designer.

I would rather see a student spend more time on design refinement in foam or 3D than spending a week inhaling bondo dust trying to get the surface of their model perfect. To me it is better to show you understand what is necessary to build a solid model and the process of creating a RP part than the blood sweat and tears of creating a full up model.

Prototype models/refinement - Essential
Appearance models - time consuming eye candy that you will NEVER do again once you become a professional.

you can create a good scale appearance model in Plasticine - takes a lot less effort