Rendering Metal

Hi everyone!

I’m taking perspective and rendering class and one of my assignments is to render 5 cubes in different materials. One of them has to be metal and I’m having a hard time with it. My professor showed us how to render chrome but he just tried to give us a basic idea and so his rendering didnt look realistic at all. If anyone could post a tutorial on how to render a realistic looking chrome cube I would really appreciate it. Thanks in Advance!

-Imaan

There is no such thing as “Chrome”. Chrome just means your cube would 100% reflect the environment around it. Since there is no environment on your paper, you need to fake it. Chances are your professor showed you the beige/blue sky/ground gradient effect which is kind of the classic design representation of chrome.

So if you want it to look realistic, pick an environment, then draw the reflections of that environment in your reflections. Depending on your medium I’ve seen some people throw in kind of simple representations of objects, but you probably don’t want to get too complex.

Look at car photos too - lots of chrome to pick from there.

You could also place the chrome cube amongst the other cubes in such a way as the other cubes will be reflected into the sides of the chrome cube.

Thanks for the suggestion. I’d rather not so chrome then. Any suggestions for brushed metal?