Red Dot and other Competitions

I am a student who just graduated two months ago, and was very interested in entering the New Concept Red Dot award with a very credible project…that is until i figured out how much it would actually cost ME if i won ($1900!). Not to mention, it took 6 e-mails to get a straight answer about fees from the committee.

Does anyone else think this is wrong??? :frowning:

Yeah, it’s completely wrong and makes you think that Red Dot is not really after the best, freshest, most unique design talent but rather after the richest and maybe even most obnoxious egos.

It’s kind of dumb for them to have a student category and even a student registration discount, without reconsidering the blanket $1900 mandatory fee that is applied to all winners. And it’s also kind of dumb for them to assume that a first year professional can “run” financially with a pack of corporate wolves.

(I picture some fat old men in Switzerland somewhere drinking booze and eating sausages on Registrants Fees, while checking their stocks and feigning interest about design and judging design …LOL…there goes my imagination again.)

Nevertheless, though I am completely new to the prof. world of ID and poor as hell, I took the plunge and entered the R.D. Design Concepts Competition, completely zeroing out my bank account in the process. ROFLOL, when the next day I finally found the find print on the website that said that winners have to fork over another $1900 for maintenance.

In some ways, Red Dot is a design competition that almost makes you NOT want to win!

Anyway, best of luck to you. Look for the comps that you can afford but if you really want something, also proceed with the philosophy of “I’ll cross that bridge when I get there.”

The Red Dot concept is actually coming out of Singapore, not Switerland, making any delivery fees even more expensive for those on the Western hemisphere!

I agree with all of you all that charging additional money for the exact ways that the red dot organization is going to publicize your win is totally off, as well as charging a lot more than any other competitions is a way to make people poor— In addition, did anyone read the 14 page agreement attached to the registration? It’s the sort of thing that a lawyer would have to go over with a fine toothed comb if you win anything…

I know, Conscience,

It was all so bizarre and worrisome, but sometimes you just have to live and learn and pray for the best and, if you get screwed in the process, resolve to do different in the future.

Red Dot Singapore is actually more scary than Red Dot Germany. Go figure! Somehow, Singapore seems like an ethical blackhole to me, and I admit that this is probably stereotypical on my part.

Yes, the manual was absolutely ridiculous and confusing… i just thought it was odd that they could offer me the discount registration fee as a student, but had to technically consider me a “professional”, even though i was entering a student project, and just graduated 2 months ago. I’ve never encountered a contest that was so obnoxious about fees!

Anyway, i plan to enter many more contests in the future, however, Red Dot proves similar to the US presidential campaigne…only designers with big pockets will prevail!

Ha, I definitely agree that Singapore is an ethical blackhole-- one of my friends who studied there for her communications degree, her research involved interviewing teenage girls about their internet surfing habits a few years ago- universities in the US would have you file a long human subjects consent form as well as detail all of your research methods, especially if you were dealing with minors- but not in Singapore! I don’t even think she needed parents’ consent…

Yeah, I meant it mostly from a “protect your intellectual property” point of view. Red Dot tried to sell the competition by saying that Asia (and hence Singapore) was the land of the future, but the fact that the Design Concepts portion was based in S. was the least appealing aspect to me, since Asian IP laws are loopier than is comfortable. I mean, not only do you have to fork over $180 to enter the Comp. and then another $1900 if you win, the org also basically implies that you should fork over patent and lawyer fees if you have even the slightest hope of protecting your IP on the world stage.

It’s my understanding that in many countries outside of the US (Asian countries especially), you cannot apply for a patent AFTER THE FIRST DATE OF YOUR PROJECT’S PUBLICATION. And just the Red Dot submission alone may have qualified as a publication. If I’m wrong and anyone knows differently, please chime in!

Red Dot has extended its deadline for accepting submissions in the “Design Concepts” category until August 15.

Wow! there actually are enough fools out there paying their own money to enter useless design competitions. Why don’t you play the lottery instead?

Unbelievable.

Yeah, if it weren’t for the fools out there, you couldn’t remain a self-righteous a.s.s.

Has anyone here won any of these competitions? If so, care to share your experience?

Maybe there are some competitions that are worth winning. If you think about the cost of entering a competition (registration fees, etc.) and compare it with the cost of BUYING adverstisement or even just creating and printing “press kits” to send out en masse, you might think differently about competition registration fees.

Many of these competitions generate additional “free press” for the winners…so…don’t forgot to factor this in.

Anyway, we should be hearing from WINNERS as well as bitter naysayers.

As opposed to “paying their own money” to buy “useless” advertising?

not

not

not

To pay to enter is one thing, but to pay to win is another. Whether it’s in Singapore or Germany, it’s screwed up. Why not just pay the $1900 up front and be the winner?

I don’t know how other design awards work, but Red Dot is pretty frank about their goal, that is to make money.

Singapore? Haha, that’s so ironic. I left Singapore for almost 4 years now and I don’t suppose anything has really changed. Everything on that island is artifically installed. They tried to become the “Creative Hub” of the world by seeking advices around the world on how to be creative. I doubt anyone has gone that route before, therefore they are creative!

On the other hand, Singapore is the strictest country in Asia when it comes to anti-piracy( and everything else). The government is good at executing their laws, so don’t “play-play”!

i hope you are happy being a second rate citizen wherever you are, cos no one likes a yellow-faced quiter who leaves when things don’t go their way.

Don’t get me wrong, but when it comes to creative education, there are a lot of fundamental changes in Singapore that needs to happen. For a small country it’s great, but it needs to see further(ie. the process as opposed to the result).

I don’t know about you, but after having lived in 3 countries and several cities, you really see what you are missing.

Also, my teachers in school were the ones who quited first. For some time I talked to several of them regarding the retarded education system. Guess what, these 20++ yr old energetic teachers told me that this is the way the system works, there’s no point fighting it or be the odd one. The teachers aren’t there to teach or inspire. They are there to produce nice looking G.C.E certificates that will boost the school’s ranking.

The exact quote was “What to do?”

I could have left way earlier but decided to finish what I was doing.

BTW I am not entirely happy with where I am, but I am glad that I have realised that.

Has anyone receive any result yet?
I’ve sent 4 mails to ask for my result, according to them, the result announcement has been delayed, for 20days, no formal announcement on that. what a ‘worldwide competition’ as they said