Ready to revamp the port...need suggestions

This is a general layout I’ve been using. Small text box, as much white space as possible, and the images dictating the flow. It’s worked pretty well for me so far. I have it in a PDF version with 3 or 4 more pages.

Still concerned about lack of process and explanation, to much to little, the normal questions.

http://www.coroflot.com/leecroy

Where’s the love?

I think it’s a bit hard to show good process on coroflot with out dedicating all the pages to 1 or 2 projects. Maybe, if you’re worried about lack of proccess, you should lose 1 or 2 of these and add more to the stronger ones.

That said, I’m not sold on the harley watercraft. It’s a great sketch, but it doesn’t look sea-worthy, and I don’t think you’d want the engine open to the elements in that environment. This is a good sketchbook piece, but if you’re trying to show proccess, stick to full projects IMO.

The Boeing hair dryier looks cool, and it works well with your all white layout, but it looks like the layout was chopped, images are running off the page. A more detailed and well layed out process would be nice for this project.

The LIFT equipment, both glove and bag & glasses: These projects look very nice, maybe simplify them and grow them in pages, so you can tell the whole story clearly (2 pages for the glove, 3 pages for the others). right now the images for the glove are fighting w/eachother and the renderings are too small to read, and the bag page leaves me wanting a lot more.

nice pure-form BOOBIES :smiley:

I agree with this completely. Take look at the hierarchy of images on the page and use their relative sizes to dictate what you want the viewer to focus on.

Your sketches are super cool, so if you have more hidden in a folder somewhere then I’d scan them in and add them where the process is thin. I’m not big on lots of text as you’ll be able to talk through things in person during an interview, and if someone has the digital version, or is looking at this online without you, then perhaps they’ll give you a call to talk through things more. Ideally, sketches, renderings, models, etc, should do all the talking for you. They shouldn’t need much more explanation than a brief project blurb to get things started…

Now I’m scared. The hairdryer is supposed to be a drill, and the bag is actually a knee pad. =0 lol I’ve got the hairdryer thing a few times. Although that leads me to believe there isnt enough explanation or word’edge, and/or the communication of the product isn’t there.

I see your guy’s point on the glove page, I’ve been struggling with presenting that project since its completion. There is actually 4 more gloves with similar documentation ie. sketches, vector work, and tech drawings, along with those glasses, kneepads, and some more accessories. Basically there is a crap load of work and I havnt found a good way to present it all. Should I show each product as a seperate “project”, or show the whole thing as a family including all the sketches and what not leading up to the final group of products? I’ve been wanting to emphasize the tech. documentation also to show my knowledge of softgoods development, but it is so, well, techy.

Thanks for the comments and complements, I enjoy both of your guy’s work and really respect your opinions. My sketching has come a hellofa’ long way since my days at AIP, CCAD knows their sketching, keep an eye out for those kids.

Quick question…how do you get your avatar bigger. I had mine 60x60 at 72 dpi and the darn thing is still too file heavy.

It’s been a while since I uploaded mine, but I would try making the image size 60x60 and then save it using the “Save for Web” option in Photoshop. You can play with the settings and knock the file size down pretty easily…

My screen res is way too high to read the text in those images. If you want more detailed explanations on the Coroflot site, try adding some verbage to the text boxes when you upload the images. Text in JPEGs that small usually end up unreadable due to the artifacting and compression that takes place…

A drill? man that was funny, but nothing to worry too much about. The bag/kneepad could’ve gone both ways, and I see the kneepd now. Try to illustrate that it’s a knee pad, show it on a human, it doesn’t have to be detailed or a pic, just line art (i pod ad style, but white probably) much like the people on my corofolio (you could even draw a little skate-punk hottie).

ok, the hair dryer/drill. this one is obviously a hair dryer to me still. you need to finalise the design, where’s the chuck? show a drill bit in it, show a human using the product. You need to do something about this, words won’t do it IMO.

I think one more illustration, showing the product in use, will be more affective than, 3 paragraphs of text describing things.

keep it up, all will turn out fine. :wink:

I can’t agree more, more visual communication, less text. Little skate-punk hottie…i guess that means I’ll have to find a model…you know, for reference :sunglasses:

So that hairdryer/drill was litterally a 2 day project, so it was a bit rushed. The chuck was one part that got lost at the end due to the lack of time. We do a lot of those type of projects at CCAD, sometimes 4hr projects, you lose a lot but learn a even more in the process.

It is amazing what a little grey hand can do…on that note, on the S+P project…give me a thought on how big you think those things are? I’ve gotten mixed reviews.

Copyboy- So how was AIF? I did the whole AIP thing once before, man, they have some great toys, but they still seem to be lacking something. They still teach FormZ as the industry standard…scary.

Context of products is key. It helps to show scale and purpose, but it looks like you’ve got the idea now. Best of luck on the updates. Avatar is lookin’ good as well…

As for those S+P vessels, they look like they’d be about 3-4 inches in diameter if they were perfectly round, based on the size of that gray hand.

you will definately need a model for reference, I always did!! :sunglasses:

Well, you’re revamping right? so spend a few hours to finish up the Boeing Drill, it’ll be a nice looking project.

the S+P product looks a little biger than those cheapo ash trays, something like 3" X 5" X 1.5", I’m going by your grey hand that’s in there, but pulling the shape from the main scene layout (it looks like a more elongated ellipse in the scene, the 2 orthographic views are comfusing shapewise). If you’re getting mixed reviews, add dimensions, and an orhtographic setup at least 3 views including a top view.

AIFL rocked the house, I enjoyed it a lot, and learn so much. They are very real world there, could be more inspiring, but there’s enough meat in the program that a focused student can take a fair amount with them into the design world. And, there’s no shortage of models if you’re have a problem with scale (you gotta love the interior design honies), a little distracting actually, but I wasn’t complaining. We didn’t learn form-z though, just a little autoCAD and a lot of solidworks, oh and a little alias.

For sure, the revamping will take place here soon, i’m finishing up an internship and will have a boat load of work to add, so lots of work ahead.

The S+P’s are actually 2" by maybe an 1.5", if you touch your middle finger to your thumb…thats about it. They look like saucers in the pic, un-cropped you can see a fork and glass, it gives it more a sense of scale…a must change.

It’s funny, 3 out of my 5 projects, from an outside view are completely percieved as a whole different product. When you get so into your projects you just look right over things like that, and when the only people that see it are students and teachers, the views are a bit biased.

We just got a new building at CCAD, unfortunantly it was dedicated to the Interior Department. Prior to, ID and IN were sharing a studio and they had to walk through our studio to get to theirs…there were quite a few moments of silence for the passer by’s. On a good note now we have the whole studio to ourselves and a much deserved and needed space.