Questions over hand renderings

This is a shoe I did last night. I have been running into the same problems with hand rendering for a awhile now and need help.

Thanks.

William Stoneback

stoneback: Hi!! How big was your drawing? if you draw big enought on a 8 by 11 paper you be able the render it better.
For example if you have the red lines on your design wide enought you could had some highlights and shadow to beef it up.
Concerning the white upper, i my self find it difficult to render with markers.
For the outsole you could add some white on the top edges to make it look 3d. :smiley:
I don’t know too much about marker rendering, maybe Tony or Ben could help you better.

The footwear gurus can probably offer better advice then I can, but a couple of things I’d suggest trying:

Draw big like was mentioned. The bigger you draw the easier it will be to control.

-Put down your light lines, then your marker, then go over your edges with darker lines. If you bleed a little over the edge you should be able to easily clean it up with a thicker darker line.

As far as the design, your edges are almost all bare. Theres a lot of areas that need more detailing, since the surfaces are all being rendered without any indentations, material changes, texture changes, the results are rather plain and boring surfaces. Throwing in more details will allow you to shade those concave/convex surfaces better, and will give it more pop.

Don’t be afraid to get away from the marker and use some pencil or charcoal to give the white a little bit more tone and shading. Even if it’s supposed to be a clean white sneaker it will still have some more contrast and surface definition. It’s better to exaggerate the contrast for the purpose of defining the form then it is to try and be completely realistic and miss conveying that to the viewer.

I know a way to make your picture to stand out more use a big fat line on the outer contour of the shoe.

You need to look at a shoe that got bit of same shape and just use those shadows. And if you are making a total new shape grab your clayable eraser and clay the shape and watch how the lights falls on it and try to draw the shine and shadows.

Also buy a blend marked or zero color marker. It helps with blending colors in each other or get rid of nasty lines.

Use a hard hb pencil or a yellow pencil to draw the design first. Dont make the design directly with the french curves.

use more darker color in the shadow. And be bolder and big shadows.

Whenever I’m doing a marker rendering my first step is to establish a light source before I begin. You’re not going to be able to make the lighting and shadowing on a shoe look consistent if you don’t know where the light is coming from. Right now it looks like you’re not sure where the light is coming from. Experiment with holding a shoe under a light to see how the light hits it, and you’ll get a better idea of how to distribute highlights and shadowing. As already said, if the lightsource was from above, you could add some white lines (with a white colored pencil) on the upper part of your red lines, and a dark line on the under side of the lines. The same applies to your grey feature. Some white highlights on the top parts, and dark ones on the bottom would make it pop. To make the white area look 3d, you could use a cool grey marker. For the lowest part of the upper you could use maybe 40-50% cool grey, and then fade into lower percentages to get the overlasted look.

Anyways, I have to go, but I hope these few pointers might help.

-Ben

Here is a new one I did. It is about 8 inches long, I should have drawn it longer, and I was having trouble with the curves. Haven’t touched it up with photoshop yet.

Here’s one of the few ones of shoes that I ever did:

The thing about rendering shoes in side view is, shoes generally have very small surface change to show the form easily.

What you need to do is to think about the WHOLE shoe as a form, and not think about trying to render each of those individual pieces. This is true for all objects, not just shoes.

So, you can start practicing by rendering a shoe without any graphical design, just a simple, pure form in grey scale. I am sure you will learn more from that than any technique tips.

practice, practice and more practice.

there´s no secret

Try not to use way too much of those french curves just par you think its easy to use use it and dont need to do everything with it. Small thing you can trace easily with you own hands.