Questions for Cincinnati Alumni/current students

Hello,
I am interested in attending the University of Cincinnati this Fall for the ID program as a post-bac student and am very much excited. I wanted to know a little more about the experiences of living in Cincy’s dorms and the financial parts of the Co-ops.

I was wondering if alumni or even current students here could lend me your thoughts on any of the following:

Dorms:

1. Which residence hall did you enjoy or not enjoy?
    1a. Is it cheaper to live in dorms vs. off campus (is off campus living too far from school)?
    2.Would you recommend a 24 yr. old to stay in dorms or live off campus if he/she has never been to Cincinnati before?
  2. Are the meals there any good?

Co-op:
4. How helpful is the school in placing students with these ID internships?
5. Do these firms usually pay for your housing and flight expenses to get there?
6. Have you ever done an abroad internship or have heard of peers who have?
7. Do you get paid enough to help pay for part of the tuition?
7b. What range did you find yourself owing in loans even after all the Co-ops?
8. Did you find that your job placement after graduation was relatively easy compared to peers from other schools as a result of the Co-op?
8b. Do you find it easy/comfortable in paying your debt within the job you currently hold?

Thank you for your time.

Hello,
I am interested in attending the University of Cincinnati this Fall for the ID program as a post-bac student and am very much excited. I wanted to know a little more about the experiences of living in Cincy’s dorms and the financial parts of the Co-ops.

I was wondering if alumni or even current students here could lend me your thoughts on any of the following:

Dorms:

1. Which residence hall did you enjoy or not enjoy?

I lived in Dabney, while it is considered the “worst” dorm. (its one of the oldest). It was fun and had its perks, like own air conditioner and only 1 roommate. Daniels is home to the DAAP floor, which is basically a floor of daap kids. Daniels is 4 people to a room though. Turner is often considered to be one of the nicest dorm, more suite style, own room and share a common area plus bathroom.

1a. Is it cheaper to live in dorms vs. off campus (is off campus living too far from school)?

Way cheaper to live off campus. Its about half the cost to live off campus than in the dorms. University Pavilion Apartments are located essentially on campus, but are also pretty expensive. Same with Stratford Heights, which is close but essential right in the middle of all the frats and sororities. If you need help finding a place to live off campus send me a PM and I can help you out.

2.Would you recommend a 24 yr. old to stay in dorms or live off campus if he/she has never been to Cincinnati before?

Probably not, most of the dorms are mainly freshmen, then everyone usually moves off campus. Turner and CRC are usually upperclassmen. If your going to stay in a dorm. Turner, CRC, or UPA are probably the best.

3. Are the meals there any good?

The dining halls are pretty good and convenient. But with a plan averaging out to about $6-7 a meal. Most people opt to just cook their own food, or eat out at one of the local restaurants/fast foods. But if I didn’t mind the cost i would hesitate to get a smaller meal plan.

4. How helpful is the school in placing students with these ID internships?

It’s required, we have a class that preps you for all the co-op stuff. Basically useless because all you learn is common sense work policy’s. But there are companies that come in and give presentations. upperclassmen who come in for Q&A’s. Time is also set out in your ID studios to help prepare your portfolio. You have a co-op adviser who’s job is to pretty much get all the ID students a job. So he emails your portfolio out to companies you choose. He also sets up companies to come and interview. So all in all the school does a lot to help you get a job.

5. Do these firms usually pay for your housing and flight expenses to get there?

Depends on the firm. Some companies cover housing and give you a travel expense. Haven’t heard of anyone paying for your flight. But giving 100-200 to cover travel expenses isn’t unheard of. (usually bigger corporations) But on average most companies do not pay for your housing.

1. Have you ever done an abroad internship or have heard of peers who have?

There are some who have done co-op overseas. I can think of three of the top of my head. I’m sure there are more. UC also has a study abroad program. Which plenty of students take advantage off. Berlin China and Brazil are there for sure. But there is possibly more. Don’t know much about it, but if your interested I can send you a contact.

7. Do you get paid enough to help pay for part of the tuition?

On co-op? You do, depending on how much financial aid you get, or if you can get instate tuition. The money made on co-op can pay for a good amount if not all your tuition for next quarter. Of course this is entirely dependent on many outside factors, but you generally get paid decently.

7b. What range did you find yourself owing in loans even after all the Co-ops?

I personally did not need loans, but I have a good amount of aid and scholarships. Plus others circumstances that come into play. Again this is entirely based on various factors. But I assume the average college student has some form of loan.

1. Did you find that your job placement after graduation was relatively easy compared to peers from other schools as a result of the Co-op?

Cant comment on this as I haven’t graduated., but a bunch of people at my current co-op are UC alums, who happened to co-op there as well. From what I hear a lot of people get job offers from the companies they co-op’ed at after graduation.

8b. Do you find it easy/comfortable in paying your debt within the job you currently hold?

Thank you for your time.

Grad students are expected not to co-op, typically.
Job skills is what they intend the undergraduate degree to build, grad school is to further the academic dialogue - do you have a research agenda?
If you want to co-op you will be on your own, as the system is geared firstly towards undergrads and the jobs now are fewer than before…
You may have particular problems if youre an international grad student.

Thanks Sain and No_Spec for your responses.

Sain, thanks for being very thorough! I will PM you soon in the next few weeks about cheap housing - need to save every dime!

I will be doing a second undergraduate degree and paying out of state tuition. Unfortunately I will be receiving only a small amount of govt. loans for financial aid since I’ve already received my first bachelors. I will be working very hard for the next month to secure some scholarships otherwise I might not be able to attend because I am unable to take out the high sum of private loans. The first year seems to be the biggest hurdle :frowning:

wish me luck!