Question to designers outside of the USA

How does a design career progress there?

I have a good idea how it goes in the USA… there seems to be tons of input on these boards. I mean, there doesn’t seem to be excessive jobs here, and I have heard even less out side the borders, except for maybe in china…

where exactly are designers at 2 years / 5 years / 10 years into their careers out there? what about even 20 years into a career ( in the mid fourties for BA design students graduating in there twenties…)

just kind of a pet curiosity I’ve had…

anybody?

I doing fine thanks for asking

yeah, maybe that was a dumb question to ask… but I do wonder about it.

It´s no dumb question. Thanks for being curious. If more people were curious about what happens outside of their countries, mutual understanding between cultures would be achieved…

Mexico is a country without a great industrial-manufacturing development. Which means that few product design is done (electronics, household, automobiles, etc). We tend to consume foreign products (designed in the US, but produced in China, mainly).
We commercialize products. Which means that POP and retail design offer lots of work to do here.
On the other hand, our handcraft resources are good. High-class furniture design studios have taken advantage of these.

The truth is that Mexican designers have to work hard in order to find a place in this tough economic scenario of ours.

I ended my studies nearly 3 years ago. I´ve worked for POP industry. Some friends work for furniture design studios. Some others have shifted from industrial to interactive design, while others struggle in order to mantain their own small studios (which mainly solve POP requests). A few of them design jewlery independently. And others work for commercial exhibit design companies.

That´s what I have to say for the people who have 2 or 3 years trying to make a way in Industrial Design in Mexico.

I should also mention that there´s another group of designers who are usually hired by transnational companies (Procter and Gamble, for example) to develop marketing strategies.

Some few are employed to offer sollutions, not in styling, but in production terms. Others are employed in the sells area for enterprises that commercialize products.

you mean there’s a world outside the u.s.?

I’m INdustrial Designer with 10 years experience. My area is Packaging and i’m working in a transnational company (Colgate Palmolive).

I’m professor too, in Industrial Design School.

I’m agree with Pancho, we work in POP, exhibitions, furniture, hand crafts, etc. We have to create a design culture.

Gracias por contestar, colega.

Yes, indeed, Mutch! :smiley: There are lots of countries outside the US.

And I´d really like to read about people in other countries experiences on a design carreer.

So would I!

I’d really enjoy hearing about careers outside of N. America, too.

I worked at a big corp before and we regularly worked with designers in different countries, but I never really got a feel for how the ID business was there. Dang, I sometimes I wonder if I really know what to expect in the next 10 yrs here

People from the world, where are you?

Working from Argentina, doing product design for a top US design firm.

Cheers!

I graduated from Uni last year with 18 months placement experience. After graduating I got a job with a large manufactuoring company then left those guys and work for a small company as a in house designer…more responsiblity but more stress with it.

It´s no dumb question. Thanks for being curious. If more people were curious about what happens outside of their countries, mutual understanding between cultures would be achieved…

New Zealand here, small population and I’m thinking about travel over to the US and Europe as i need more inspiration. You can’t help but feel like a cheat designing clothes, graphics and shoes. Sending them to china then wait for it to come back as a sample or in production. The people making the stuff may be better at design than me but have never had a chance. Or not.

People of the world! I’m coming to take all your design jobs!
:stuck_out_tongue:

I moved to Hong Kong for 3 months ago, but have been coming here since 1990. The hardest thing in Hong Kong and Southern China is that they grew proportionally with WalMart (their main customer). Therefore the mentality here is do it NOW and CHEAP, not do it right. I see much more R&D occuring in Shanghai. There are innitatives to make Hong Kong more of an R&D center, but it is in it’s early phase.

I’ve heard that Shanghai like to do things proper or not bother. I like that attitude! :sunglasses:

yeah, maybe that was a dumb question to ask… but I do wonder about it.

maybe that was a dumb question to ask… but I do wonder about it.