Question about cleats.

So I have been contemplating on buying some new cleats for the up and coming flag football season. As I expected there are tons of choices available to me. One of the more curious choices was for me to get the Air Jordan VI Cleated shoe.

Now comes the question. How does a basketball shoe translate into a cleated shoe? Would I be better off buying a shoe that was primarily designed specifically for football? One would assume that the easy choice would be to buy the shoe that was specifically designed for football, but is there that much of a difference?

I hope this all made sense. lol

I presume that you are talking about American Football and not Soccer.

I know little about the sport being from the UK but i do know a bit about cleats or what we call studs.

My advice when choosing your boots is firstly ensure that your foot is flat on the insock (meaning do not wear them a size too small- common mistake in soccer)

Make sure that the studs or cleats are not directly under your first or fith met head (these are bones in your foot where it flexes- the first is under your big toe and the fith is under the little toe ) when you run 5 times your body weight (force) can transend through the foot and through the outsole. In a running shoe this force typically dissipates across an area away from the met heads but with a cleat it creates a localised pressure. This means that the weight travels directly down the stud and creates a lot of stess on the met head.(depends on surface you are playing on and if that force comes back up the foot)

Many athletes fracture their met head through jumping then landing, having an outsole which is too flexible (creating excessive motion.) can also be a problem.

so my advice would be one:

get the right size
make sure the stud is not directly under the ball of your foot (the knuckle like part under your big toe) try and get a cleat whihc sits above and below
try the boot on with the socks you play in
make sure the boot only flexes where your foot flexes
try not to buy bladed cleats but cleats which are round
try to buy a boot which has some slight raise at the heel (back of the shoe)

Whether or not the Jordan shoe will do the job, I have no idea. I presume that the Jordan connection is more aesthetic than functional and the shoe probably has qualities that make it fit for playing football.

Rich, I don’t think it makes a difference. If NFL wide receivers like Marvin Harrison and Terrell Owens, as important as their footing is, can wear cleat-converted basketball shoes, I would think those shoes provide all the performance needed. Besides, subtle changes are made to those designs to prepare them for a cleated setup. If I was buying a mid-cut cleat right now, I would definitely get the Jordan VI. I think they’re sweet.

Bespoke, why are round cleats better than bladed cleats?

HI Traveler9,

from my work in professional soccer and working closely with the medical teams at Premiership clubs we found that typical bladed footwear (due to its flat sides and positioning) caused a lot of major knee ligament damage. This was becuase they provided too much grip.

When the athlete is running and stops drastically in natural turf, the cleat acts as a lock and stops the foot dead however the knee carries on travelling and pops out of joint.

Likewise when turning and the foot is in the ground, as many quick centre forwards do with their back to goal, the foot locks in and the knee twists.

With round studs, the more traditional design, you get a bit of give in the foot and boot moves (usually) in the turf before the knee goes.

There are more informed designs coming to market.

I know the NFL have had problems in the past with this and surface can play an important role. The NFL did play with studs that would snap under a certain amount of force (obvioulsy before a rupture would take place) I presume that they use a mix of synthetic and natural surfaces through the league.

In Australia rules football, they saw 90% more injuries to knees in the south of teh country apposed to the north. They found that in the south the grass grew in swirl like manner which meant it locked to the cleats more where as in the north, the seed they used grew vertical. They enforced that the vertcal seed be used through the league and have seen a big drop in injury to the knees (in non contact situation)

There ae many factors at play and all injuires are obvioulsy multi-factorial.

Thanks for the info guys. Way more than I expected especially about the type of cleat.

Ryan: Yeah I didnt think that performance would be an issue with the Jordan cleats. I just wanted to know for sure there was some sort of perfomance there other than the obvious aesthetics. Im most likely going to get the J’s unless I find another pair of screw ons at a lower price.

Thanks Again