query from an Architect

Hi everyone,

This is Shrikar Bhave.

I am an Architect from Mumbai, India, and want to pursue master’s degree in the field of Industrial Designing.

I welcome suggestions from all of you with respect to following issues.

1. Names & Classification of the schools – as excellent, Good, Average… etc.
    In United States of America. (Suggestions regarding schools in Europe is also welcome – wasn’t considering that option because of my knowledge that schools in Europe do not offer scholarships.)

2. Is it necessary for an Industrial designer to have an in depth know-how of engineering? (I understand that I should be aware about engineering, my question is do u really require formal training in engineering?)

3. Is there any fundamental difference between European and American schools of thought – with respect to field of Industrial/product designing?

4.Coming from Architecture background, are there any special modifications required to be done / portrayed in my portfolio which I will need to send to Universities for admissions for Industrial design studies?

1. References of Industrial designers (esp. who are graduated as architects and are now into field of Industrial design.)

Waiting for quick and diverse replies from everybody …from every possible background.

Thank you all …

Regards,

Shrikar Bhave.

I would check out IDSA.ORG and look around that site, it has some great info, as well as core77. As far as anyone will say im sure, Art Center College in California is a good place to look, they will want to see a portfolio of work in the area you want to study. Detroit CCS (college for creative studies) may be the best in the area of automotive design. ID’s are not engineers, engineers are engineers. You don’t really need to KNOW engineering to get into ID programs, but of course we work with engineers often. They just don’t know how to make something look good. haha.