PURDUE VS RIT??

I was acceptted by Purdue and RIT in industrial design. But I do not live in USA.

Can anyone tell me which one is better or some differences bettween them?

Thankyou :slight_smile:

I graduated from Purdue 10 years ago, so that was before they switched programs and finished up with their new design building (which is awesome!) At that time, the curriculum was what you made of it. There were 11 of us in the senior class that year. About half went on to be successful in the industry of ID. Some quite successful.

Purdue does offer a lot for the international student as a high percentage of those at the school are from other countries. So, you wouldn’t be alone.

If when dealing with typical HR people, “Purdue” is a school that is well-known. Maybe not so much for their ID program, but it’s known by normal people because it’s a Big 10 school. I’m not a huge fan of football, but it helps to keep the name of your school out there and on the tongue of possible recruiters. RIT, while known as a great school for ID, isn’t going to be known by an average HR person.

With Purdue having over 36K students, the options for getting a minor in another field are quite large and I highly recommend it. There is much diversity there.

In the end, I wouldn’t have done it another way. I’m happy with the school I chose.

I am a class of 1993 graduate of RIT. The ID program did great for me.

Hey, RIT is in the NCAA frozen four Div 1 men’s hockey next week! Good PR!

Thank you !

Hi Muabo

I just graduated from Purdue’s ID program last year. Most of what 6ix said is true- the design labs are the best setup I have ever heard of in a design school and you will get an amazing college experience due to the size of the school. As for the size helping with a second degree, having a double major is very strongly discouraged by the ID department- not to mention that if you want a double major/minor that’s not in the school of Liberal Arts it is extremely difficult due to school policies. I would suggest a minor if you’re good at time management.

Senior classes are 16 people which is really great, but I have only heard of a small handful with full time jobs who graduated in 2009. Probably more than half of that class are doing internships/freelance right now with varying degrees of success.

Purdue also has some faculty issues. There is an amazing teacher for furniture design and modelmaking, but the rest of the department doesn’t have that much experience in ID(IMO). I found that students really had to motivate themselves to get better and learn about the world of ID. If you go to Purdue, the best thing to do is spend a lot of time in the lab and learn from classmates. On a side note, almost every project you do for Purdue will be a design competition of some sort. Good for some extra cash, and for Purdue’s reputation, but if you want a really diverse portfolio (soft goods, consumer products, electronics, toys etc) make sure to push yourself into doing a variety of things or else you’ll end up with a portfolio full of plastic boxes.

In the end it’s about your portfolio. If you’re driven to succeed in ID, your portfolio will show it no matter where you go.

Good luck!

Thanks for the post kfakonas, I’m looking at purdue too, and your post was really helpful. You just dont get that kind of info from a website or a tour guide.