Purchasing or leasing Solidworks

So, I’m in the process of trying to get a license of Solidworks (2009 or the upcoming 2010.) They are having some special promotions at the moment, but man, it’s still WAY pricey. I really just want to try it out for a year or so, and maybe just pay per month.

What other options do I have if I want to use this software?

Of course there are ways to obtain software without actually paying for it, but it’s certainly not legal. Unfortunately, I don’t think you have any other LEGAL option but to bite the bullet and pay for it. There are some ways to save some money, like getting just the basic version without Photoworks, Photoview 360, Toolbox, etc. If you have Rhino, you can render your SW stuff in there. Check with a tax professional and see if you can write off some of the cost (like we were talking about yesterday). That will make the hit a bit less. You can certainly lease the program, it may cost you a bit more in the long run, but less month to month. Might be a good option if you’re running out of cash at the moment. It’s nice to have the subscription service because that gets you all the tech support you need locally, and it keeps your software up to date.

I like having it, but I’m glad I’m not paying for it.