Prototype for Website?

Hello, first post here I hope this isn’t inappropriate. I am a graphic/web designer, with an idea for a product. I thought I would throw this idea out there.

I was wondering if there was anyone that might have, or have access to the tools necessary to make a prototype. I can offer to develop a portfolio or company website in exchange for the prototype.

Here is a model I made of the idea, It would be 2 small plastic peices that ‘snap’ togeather. Its just over an inch tall.

PM me if interested

Thank You

Bump any students still in school, that can use the equipment, need a protfolio when they graduate? As well as a product for they’re portfolio.

What is it?

It will be used for a form of farming.

Since it’s small and plastic, you could easily get competing and reasonable quotes from Rapid Prototyping places. You’ll get an SLA (stereolithography) model that you can later use as a positive for a mold for low-high volume production. It’s worth pursuing seriously if you are serious about your creative/inventive “dreams.” I wouldn’t spend too much time trying to bum a model off a student b/c that could take you forever and time is money. That said, be proactive and try one or all of the following:

1. Contact Professional Prototyping Houses (dozens of great ones out there)
  2. Place an ad at Pratt, Art Center, RISD and other design schools (go online and view their websites or call up to see how)
  3. Hit up Craigslist. You’d be amazed at what you can find, esp. in NYC and LA.

It looks like you already have a 3D model (a huge part of the equation), so if you can convert it into an STL file, SLA is a logical outcome. Beg, borrow, earn and save the money it takes to get it done. Bartering services is ideal, but it costs too in other ways.

Thanks, do you have any idea what a SLA would cost if I proved the STL file? And any good SLA places you can recomend?

They’ll price your piece by volume, the number of pieces you want, the level of finish you need and the time it takes to make the part/s (since other jobs can’t start until yours is done). I’m not sure about cost, but it should be well under $100 I would hazard – but this is really hazarding. Get real figures so you can make real decisions. Since you have the STL file/s the whole process should be quick. You could have the part at your door within a week. My first product (and I’m not even a “product designer”!) was done at Spectrum 3D (www.spectrum3d.com). I was green but they helped guide me through the process and it came out wonderfully. I’ve moved on since then and have had incredible feedback from:

1. Todd Reese at Realize, Inc. (www.realizeinc.com)
  2. David Speigel at Modelvision, Inc. (www.modelvisioninc.com)
  3. Doug at Vista Technologies (www.vistatek.com)
  4. Matt Sehenuk at Prototypes Plus (www.prototypesplus.com)

I also want to try Moldless Technology one day (www.3Dmoldlesstechnology.com).

Make sure you have the companies sign an NDA (Non-Disclosure/Confidentiality Agreement) first, before showing them anything. Either compose one from a standard template you can find online or ask them to send you one of theirs. Then email your STL to a point person and wait for a quote. Also make sure you give overall dimensions and that you notate metric or imperial.

On the whole, I avoid the “instant quotes” that most of these places have online because I’ve found that sometimes dimensions get screwed up and the automatic quotes that get sent back to you can be misleading. I always try to talk to a human being before trusting quotes or starting any runs.

One other thing…you could also try 3D printing (with plaster as opposed to resin) but I’m not sure who’s good for that or or prices compare.

Good luck and rock on with it!

Wow thanks for the help, I thought it was going to be over $5000, thats the main reason I was looking to do a website in trade.

No, my first product with Spectrum was $5000 and it was about 11"x10"x6" and was complicated and required a high level of finish. Please look into it and don’t quote me on the $100. Upon reflection and considering some other small pieces I’ve done, I suspect it could cost you $100-$300 for one piece with standard sanding and beadblasting. If you move into low-high volume production and start making molds of your SLA, it might start getting up there.

I can tell you that I am poor as hell, but somehow I’ve managed to get all of my projects done by working my ass off at my day job and chanting “if ya want anything done, do it yourself!”

No, my first product with Spectrum was $5000 and it was about 11"x10"x6" and was complicated and required a high level of finish. Please look into it and don’t quote me on the $100. Upon reflection and considering some other small pieces I’ve done, I suspect it could cost you $100-$300 for one piece with standard sanding and beadblasting. If you move into low-high volume production and start making molds of your SLA, it might start getting up there.

I can tell you that I am poor as hell, but somehow I’ve managed to get all of my projects done by working my ass off at my day job and chanting “if ya want anything done, do it yourself!”