Products that use a weighted base for balance

Hey all, this is my first post here so apologies if its in the wrong section.

I am looking to design a product that balances on a weighted spherical base. Any help and advice when it comes to using this principle to design a products that uses a weight to keep it in a horizontal position would be amazing! I have attached a photo of kitchen utensils that someone designed as reference, i am looking to achieve the same effect as this fine gentleman =]

I have searched virtually every phase i can come up with any nothing yields results. Any tips and information would be greatly appreciated!

Weebles :slight_smile:

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/kitchen/wineRacksBarware?productId=10033470

There is the classic clown punching bag.

Or the adultish version:

Toothbrushes:

Brush holders:

Old product, new life.

Patented in 1928, these things were still in use when I was a little kid (1950s). The bottom half was weighted so that if it was hit by a vehicle it would self-right.

Toledo Road Torch (Dietz made an almost identical version)

Toledo Pressed Steel Company, Toledo, Ohio, is long gone but you can still buy them (from the original tooling no less) for patios, camping, etc. They’re now marketed as a Ground Torch, $38

Any tips and information would be greatly appreciated!

Pretty basic stuff. Keep the majority of the weight at the bottom…

I found a lot of items with wobble, self-balancing, tilting, weighted, weeble, auto-balance, balancing etc etc. Add whatever item you want to the end of it.

tilting toothbrush
balancing stool
wobbling spoon

I saw a grilling set recently but I cannot recall where.

Here are some stools:

Sony RM-V30 Universal Remote

Hey guys thanks for the info. From the above it seems that if i have half a sphere at the bottom that account for most of the products weight, it should stand vertically upright?

weightedbase.png
If you’re using a hemisphere as the base, you want the centre of gravity below the halfway line, the lower the better. If you’re using less than a hemisphere, it can be outside of the base, but it must still be in the volume that would be enclosed by the hemisphere if you were to extend it.

weightedbase2.png
It’s not as simple as just making more than half of the weight be in the base, a small weight far away from the line will have the same effect as a large weight close to the line. There are ways to calculate it, but if you’ve got a complex geometry, the best way is really to test it, and put as much weight in the bottom as you can and make the top as light as you can for maximum stability.