product/image mapping

cud any body pass on some good link(s) for product mapping? I want to read something about it though i have a verbal idea of what it is ad have indulged in it too.I am a design student and need it for a project of mine.THanx a lot.

No I cannot.

I suspect that this is for two reasons:

One, there was nothing on the first page of the 0.06 second search I just did on Google about it.

Two, I am not sure I really understand what you are after, why you are after it or what you are trying to achieve.

Maybe others who read this can. Or maybe you could be more focussed and specific and some good people here might be able to give you suggestions on HOW to do it…

Good Luck

dear mr swope,

i know how exactly to type www.google.com on the net and had waited for 6 minutes (against your 0.6 minutes) before asking the discussion panel regarding product mapping - one

Anyway here is my reframed question : Can anybody tell me what ‘product mapping’ is and how do we go about doing it?

Regards

Sometimes we can’t always magically type in what we want into Google and get it. Sometimes we actually have to actually make some kind of attempt to think and ask clear questions. Here are some I have for you…

Are you mapping existing products?

What do you want to achieve by mapping them?

Do you want to map them attitudinally?

Do you want to map them functionally?

Do you want to map products offered by one brand?

Do you want to map products competitively?

Do you want to map categories of products - e.g. mice - or do you want to map across categories of products - e.g. mice, trackballs, retinal scanners, touchscreens, other peripherals?

Now, here is a mapping experiment that you might try if you haven’t done it already:

Draw an “x” axis and on one end of it write the word “cold” and the other end of it write the word “hot.” Then make a “y” or vertical axis and place a words like “basic” or “luxury” at either end - or try more imaginative or subject-specific terms appropriate to your project. Anyway, the point is to create fields of meaning with your terms so that you can Then place products across a spectrum of cold to hot, and basic to luxury.

The key is to think up things that you would like to measure and to create interesting fields of meaning to make your maps. This is a basic type of map that designers use a lot when visually assessing a product category.

thax , i really gained a lot from that reply.In fact you ar right.The right question is the key. Well, i have done one exercise of that sort taking two mutually exclusive qualities on the x and y axes and then putting the product variants (say electric iron) along and across then cartesian space. But I feel I need more practice to realise th potential of the process since i genuinely feel it MUST be a strong and effective method.

Thanx for the prompt reply,

Shall do some more groundwork myself, acting on the points you’ve mentioned
Regards

I agree with Cordy that there are amazing numbers of ways one can “map” products against different attributes. It’s a fascinating topic, and there is a good deal of work being done on it, especially in academia. If you can get to a university library, I’d suggest you thumb through a (pricey) periodical called_Desi gn Studies_, which ocassionally has articles on mapping products by affect, material properties, performance, etc.

michael