Product development

Is there a good place to do a masters course in product development.I am a graduate in industrial design.

Not sure what you mean by Product development. Do you mean the Product Development process? If so that is what you should have learned in ID school.

I heard once that there is an OK school to go to. It is cool.

Save your money and master how many products you can fit in a shipping container. :wink:

I DID SEE A COURSE BEING OFFERED BY THE Carnegie Mellon University but it is very expensive…

I would focus on getting a job. This is stuff you will learn while you work.

another reason why i want to take up further studies is because i feel that i am not so good at my visualisation…and representation…i get great ideas but transferring them into useful images and then a product is what i find difficult…

don’t go to graduate school to learn how to sketch.

practice on your own. teach yourself and you will stand out among the crowd once you’re good.

practicing at home versus $20k-$80k in loan debt + 2 more years of your life… or hang out and dig in.

buy some sketch rendering how to books, buy some paper, steal some pens, and sketch.

Agreed

Graduate school should never be about learning “how to sketch”, but it is an opportunity to grow ideas while closely working with advisors and peers. If this is what you are looking for, then you should definitely investigate graduate school further.

Master’s programs are also a waste if you don’t already have a few years of work experience under your belt.

After carefully reading back on the three posts in this thread made by the original poster…

sketcho, you’re not serious about being an Industrial Designer. Simply put.

Either
A) that will motivate you to begin getting serious.
or
B) nothing.

And you can tell that how? Give me a break…

He first made a topic asking about masters programs, which obviously demonstrates some interest. He then said that he looked into CMU but it’s too expensive for him. His final post was his reason for wanting to go back to school; he’s not confident in his abilities.

You’ve told him why graduate school isn’t for developing fundamentals; there’s no reason to jump to conclusions about his personality based on 3 internet posts.

Maybe I’m being too harsh, but maybe not.

But just saying

“Is there a good place to do a masters course in product development.I am a graduate in industrial design.”

Come on! Clearly this person has put forth NO effort into looking. “Is there a good place?”

Would I just go onto a car forum and say…
“Is there a good car to buy.I have my license.”

How about any information leading up to, about, etc.

“I HEARD THERE IS A GOOD CAR CALLED A BMW but I hear it is expensive”

Google and motivation are your friends.

Come with educated questions to get educated answers.

good Master’s programs focus on research , critical thinking and advance methodologies on topic such as current social issues, human behaviors, infrastructure and leadership. It isn’t an environment to learn sketching or rendering ideas…

thanks everybody…

it is not that i dont have any work experience…i have been working on assorted things which include some projects using metal fabrication, some other dealing with medical products and also some teaching of design related subjects at local schools…

i am pretty serious about myself …but somehow in all the experience related to industrial design i always had a overtly dominating mentor who would take charge of all the conceptual work leaving me underconfident in the end even after all the hardwork…

i always had a feeling that my drawing skills were not so upto the mark…but i am a very logical and analytical person.i also like to look at things differently from a larger perspective and detail. i understand very well the importance of design and how it makes a difference…

i really wish to build my abilty to create ideas,be communicative and build products which are not run of the mill…

its so difficult to explain…
hoping you all experiencd people understand my predicament and advise me

thanks everybody…i am pretty serious about myself …but somehow in all the experience related to industrial design i always had a overtly dominating mentor who would take charge of all the conceptual work leaving me underconfident in the end even after all the hardwork…

This sounds more like a confidence issue than a skill problem. My advice is to put yourself out there. You never are going to be as good as you want to be until you break out of your comfort zone. Start posting some work up here. We will give you an honest and un bias critique.

i always had a feeling that my drawing skills were not so upto the mark…but i am a very logical and analytical person.i also like to look at things differently from a larger perspective and detail. i understand very well the importance of design and how it makes a difference…

Once agian lets see some work!! You may be better than you think you are. :laughing:

i really wish to build my abilty to create ideas,be communicative and build products which are not run of the mill…

its so difficult to explain…
hoping you all experiencd people understand my predicament and advise me

Trust me we have all in some way or another have had “Design Block” or been in these situations. There will always be someone better than you an we all struggle at some point. The key is to know how to work through those challenges and move on. Try using Core as a mentioning tool. It will help you learn and keep up with what is going on.

http://www.pdma.org/knowledge_npdp.cfm → has a recommended reading list for studying for their cert course.

Of course there is this crazy place paid for with your tax $ called a library. I’d recommend you wander into 1 or 2 & self educate on what you are interested in.

A super expensive masters may or may not pay off in the long run in this current climate.

You also might want to get a leg up over all of the other “recent grads” & really learn how to design for manufacturing. Intern/part-time at a local machine shop & see what designs + resin + processes really work & what designs totally skew the entire project time line = the boss learns your name in a ‘not so good’ way.

A good way to learn while looking for a full time ‘career’ & a great way to not make any crucial ‘rookie’ mistakes on that 1st important job.