Processor speed or Graphics card?

This post should probably be in the software and technology discussion, however I wanted a broader view point so I am posting it here.

When it comes to computers running 3D software like Solidworks or ProE which is more important, Processor speed or Graphics card?

thanks

Generally, rendering requires CPU power and modelling needs graphics card power. More complex models can benefit from lots of RAM to prevent heavy HDD operations.

:)ensen.

For day to day operations (rotating, zooming, etc.), graphics card for sure. The only time I ever run out of RAM or max out the processor on SW is when rendering something huge. The other thing to pay attention to apart from graphics card is the HD speed. Opening an assembly or complex model is much faster with a quick HD.

If you are looking to build a new system I would do the following things:

1: Get a dual processor, a strong single processor with hyper threading, or a new dual core processor. This will allow you to crunch through code much faster and will help you process more data for modelling and rendering. You can also assign the processors so that you can have two programs open that each have a dedicated processor.

2: Get a high speed (10,000 rpm) hard drive and use it only for the OS and your main programs. The faster I/O speeds will aid in running high intensity programs. Then get a second high capacity standard drive (7,200 rpm) for your files, and non essential programs. Keeping these things separate will make a big difference

3: Get two video cards from Nvidia that will allow you to use their new SLI bridge technology. This will allow you to scale your graphics needs across two cards for high intensity applications or you can configure it for a multi-monitor setup with higher performance.

4: Get a lot of RAM, then get some more. You can never have enough. My computer allows me to install up to 16gigs and although I don’t plan on filling it to capacity, its good to add as much as is realistically and fiscally possible.

[/quote]If you are looking to build a new system I would do the following things:

1: Get a dual processor, a strong single processor with hyper threading, or a new dual core processor. This will allow you to crunch through code much faster and will help you process more data for modelling and rendering. You can also assign the processors so that you can have two programs open that each have a dedicated processor.

2: Get a high speed (10,000 rpm) hard drive and use it only for the OS and your main programs. The faster I/O speeds will aid in running high intensity programs. Then get a second high capacity standard drive (7,200 rpm) for your files, and non essential programs. Keeping these things separate will make a big difference

3: Get two video cards from Nvidia that will allow you to use their new SLI bridge technology. This will allow you to scale your graphics needs across two cards for high intensity applications or you can configure it for a multi-monitor setup with higher performance.

4: Get a lot of RAM, then get some more. You can never have enough. My computer allows me to install up to 16gigs and although I don’t plan on filling it to capacity, its good to add as much as is realistically and fiscally possible.

10.000 U.S Dollars later you realized you could have bought a good marker set for 13.50.

A system as described above could be built for less than 5,000. Especially if you scout out the cheapest prices and built it yourself. I did something similar and it cost me less than 3,000.

Fast machines are not that expensive.

I have on order a dual (mid-curve) Opteron with 2Gb, raided 10,000RPM drives and a ATI X800XL. Invoice is $2,700 CDN not incl monitors.

:)ensen.