Problem with drawing arcs in perspective

Okay so many of you are probably quite adept at this procedure, but as a lay person who is just beginning, I have great difficulty with drawing arcs in perspective.

basically I cannot for the life of me, figure out how to draw the arc so that the apex is a smooth clean curve rather than a friggin pointy peak. somebody please show me a good method.

The problem is shown below as a scanned image:

I think I know what you are asking, but your sideview sketch looks pointy too… like the perspective? This is not necessarily “correct” but this is how I draw archs in perspective. Call it the “fudge method.” I use an ellipse that is smaller, just like when drawing a circle, but I align it at less of an angle, until it “looks right.”

In this case it is about half as tilted as you would with a circle.

check out the construction methods used by Scott Robertson…

http://www.drawthrough.com

Hi!

When drawing an arc, it helps to draw the whole ellipse (just strengthen the line on top of the section/arc that you want) - it also gives the sketch more movement and dynamics. Turn the paper to get the easiest angle to draw the ellipse, and move your whole arm from the elbow when drawing it.

hey thanks people… it’s frustrating knowing what it SHOULD look like, but somehow screwing up every time. the scott robertson site isn’t working for me at the moment… but i’ll bookmark it and try later.

sketcher: you got some nice work up there!

Hey! Thankyou! :slight_smile: I´m working on my portfolio so there´ll be a bit more soon!

For the arcs, I was thinking… I often draw a square in perspective first, and then fit the ellipse (it´s always an ellipse - sometimes more squashed, sometimes more open like a circle, but always an ellipse!) inside. Opposite sides of the ellipse will (it seems obvious, but it took me a bit to click) be equal. As long as you can draw a rough ellipse, you can do perspective arcs! :slight_smile:

sketcher Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:59 am Post subject:
For the arcs, I was thinking… I often draw a square in perspective first, and then fit the ellipse (it´s always an ellipse - sometimes more squashed, sometimes more open like a circle, but always an ellipse!) inside. Opposite sides of the ellipse will (it seems obvious, but it took me a bit to click) be equal. As long as you can draw a rough ellipse, you can do perspective arcs! Smile

hmmh! that’s a good idea. my current Design Drawing II teacher didn’t mention this… he’s a great guy but he has his own unique way of doing things… he kind of expects that you’ll “get it” right away or just drop the class, but i practice practice practice at home… and sometimes i just can’t dig it… most of the time i can but these perspective arcs have been giving me trouble. i can see how your method would work. definitely gonna try that.