Pro Desktop?

Have you ever heard of or used this program? It is part of the ProE group of products. Our IT department is looking at it as an alternative to SolidWorks because they are offering it for $995. ProE resellers are claiming it has most of the features of ProE and at $995 it sounds like a great deal. Too good to be true? Thanks.

This is a as switch-and-bait technique… they want to get you hooked on their software so that you’ll buy the full version once you find the limited one doesn’t have what you need, and you’ve already invested a $1000 per seat so you’re more likely to buy their product. My advice would be to get full evaluation copies of software you’re interested in and for YOU to do an evaluation using typical work scenarios. I would not want to depend on your IT dept. to choose your design tools, especially when it’s on the basis of price!

Cheers

Sorry, that should have read “bait-and-switch”…

Pro/D is a dead product - they ceased development on it last year sometime and are suggesting that users migrate to Pro/E…

Plenty of bile spilled at http://www.prodesktop.net/, if you fancy a trawl…

Are someone said, Pro/D is a dead product. It was based on DesignWave that PTC inherited from Computervision. It was given away in a lot of UK schools and pretty freely to UK industry (I guess the same elsewhere).

If your IT department is trying to get you guys to buy it for 995, someone should get fired (essentially, whoever they’re buying it from) - you can’t pay that sort of money for a CAD system that isn’t supported, and shouldn’t really be sold…

As for the resellers claim “it has most of the features of ProE”, they should be shot. It’s a tool that never got finished and certainly should not be on the market in a commcercial environment.

I tried it briefly when it was available in a free version, was appealing in that you could get your clients to install it and you had a common program to work in but it was like something someone who hated you had developed, seemed to be the least intuitive, least efficient modeller I have tried.

Lost productivity and hair would easily outweigh the low/no cost IMO.