price per 3d render in tif-format

Hi!

I was asked by a company to see if i could make a good, realistic render of a sailing yacht. They provided the geometry, I just needed to apply materials, light and a good-looking sea. I picked it up mostly as a learning experience, as it had been a while since I played around with Max. But the renders came out good, so I will propose to sell them printeable images of scenes (probably in .tif-format 300dpi).
I’d like to know what companies usually ask for services like that. A friend of mine said around 600 Euros, which makes sense to me. But I thought I’d get some comments from people who do this for a living. I would appreciate it a lot!

Regards,
Ph

I charge somewhere in the area of USD$2,500 - US$3,000 each for high res renderings. It takes a ot of time to set up scenes, materials, and lighting. It is a lot of trial and error so it should not be too cheap.

recently did couple big renders for new client. rendered out 4k squares. Maya w/ MR. charged $1250 for two diff products. but was a favor for old friend. and a test for MR (i’d always used Maya built-in and wanted to play/learn). normally would charge about that for each one.

Thanks for replying, I appreciate it. Here’s hoping I can get that much out of it (still practicing my negociating skills).

Regards,
Ph

What makes digital renderings so expensive? I’ve always considered computer art work to be secondary, because it’s not the person actually doing the work. I just don’t believe it should cost that much on a single piece of rendering.

you’ve obviously never spent any time setting up shaders, cameras, or lighting- it takes a lot of time and effort to get it right, and requires some expertise

I may not be an expertise, but I have experience in using the latest software packages such as Cinema 4D v9. My point is that these softwares are getting so advanced that it seems like all I need to know are the tools in the program to produce high quality renderings. Not much work there. Because I was able to learn how to produce near photorealistic rendering in just few weeks. The plug-ins, shaders, materials are already pre-set in the package. It makes no sense to create your own if they’re already there.

It would be more justifiable to do the renderings yourself. Setting up a scene in 3D progam and having the processor do the work in not art.

much of my time usually spent outside rendering. clients may not have file ready to pop in. usually don’t. mine don’t have Maya files.

i might get a 200mb folder of CAD data. if Pro/E (most likely for me) then have to create my own assembly using maybe 8 or 10 visible parts from entire product with hundreds of parts. thats done in Pro/E first. not Maya. that assumes assembly even loads. usually they don’t first time. so wasted time. and then whether individual part file names are descriptive (more likely they are called something like “10254332a.prt” or something else meaningless). i can spend a whole day just creating an assembly to export to Maya. and then i have to start rendering. and it may have to match other photos client has. sometimes no shaders match their images. so you have that. besides just doing a kick render.

assuming and doing are different things. get a render project and find out. it’s not cut and dried.

NEVER tell clients it is easy. There are always unforseen problems and charge for teh time your computer is running and crunching through the rendering. That is still time and electricity and expertise to babysit it. Get all you can get money wise becuase design work is usuaully not steady so don’t just charge when you are actually working…charge for the time the machine is working and yuo are tending and watching over it. Does a security guard take off hours just cause he is standing around? See my point? When you are on the project you are to charge even if it is to sit by the computer and check on or babysit it.

!!!Welcome to the 21st century Jackass!!!

“What makes digital renderings so expensive? I’ve always considered computer art work to be secondary, because it’s not the person actually doing the work. I just don’t believe it should cost that much on a single piece of rendering.”

HA! that’s right, I always forget to hit the Make Pretty button, that would save loads of time!! The computer is a great thing, just hit a button and a design pops onto the screen, is renderd and ready to go to production. I wasted so much time in school and after, guess i’ll go do something else.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but that view always gets me riled up.

I can’t find the link but I just read somewhere about a story that explains it perfectly. Goes something like:

Lady asks Picasso to do a portrait of her.
He bangs it out lightning fast, just a couple of strokes.
She asks how much?
He says $5000.
She’s upset, why, it only took you a minute to do.
He says, no, it took a lifetime to do.

So basically you’re paying for the experience and expertise to get something done well, not the time it takes. If it can be done quickly and easy, that’s due to the operators abilities and knowledge, and that’s what you pay for.
If it truly was so effortless that they shouldn’t get paid much, the client could do it themselves. It’s not monkey work that just anybody in the world can do.
You’re not paying a lawyer $300/hr just to stand up and argue for the jury. My uncle Joe can do that for $50. It’s that specialized knowledge you’re paying for which hopefully will make the work get done quickly.
We shouldn’t be quick to eliminate that special skill and experience value factor unless we want our profession to turn into a McJob like some of these places advertising on TV are trying to do.

How much would someone pay for work like this?
http://www.guillaumefavre.com/m342i_guillaumefavre.avi