Predicting the future of design by SMART's Dan Formosa

Saw this recently and thought that Dan had some great thoughts about the role and shape of design in the near future…any thoughts about what he might be missing? I’m particularly interested in #4: A return to basics in understanding people.

His full essay is here: Six Predictions That Will Change Design | Ideas | Smart Design

So… is the field of design ready to enter it’s next stage? Here are 6 predictions about how design will change:

1. In the future, designers will know things
  2. We’ll add metrics to design
  3. Advertising and marketing budgets will be diverted to design
  4. We’ll return to basics in understanding people – psychology and physical ergonomics
  5. Females will re-think the fields of design and engineering
  6. We’ll see an exponentially increasing demand for better design, worldwide

Did he predict Smart’s SF office was going to close?

Yes.

Low blow.

So… is the field of design ready to enter it’s next stage? Here are 6 predictions about how design will change:

I doubt it !!!

HaHa – very funny. Laughed out loud.

OK, OK, above the belt guys. Though the faux Dan Formosa reply was hilarious.

I predict a lot less change than people think. Don’t confuse the change in tools for the change in process.

The type of processes that the the Eames, Dreyfus, and even Loewy and Teague used are very much what we still do. Analyst the problem, learn and investigate, conceptualize, visualize, collaborate and execute. The tools are and will be totally different. The critical thinking, curious minds, and general desire to think, make, and do will be the same.

Maybe I’m zooming too far out?

The only thing Modern Man knows about knowledge for certain is that he can never know how many things he does not know.

Modern Man is a wise man

1. Sometimes ignorance enables a fresh perspective.
  2. There wasn’t metrics before? Since when?
  3. Don’t care about the origin of the budget.
  4. Again, when did we stop?
  5. Good. But do females possess some magic males don’t?
  6. I’ll bet bet a dollar against. Viva Walmart!

“faux” ?

Alledgedly. Let’s say unconfirmed.