Pratt's ID program

What do you guys think about Pratt’s ID program??

I think one of the good things about it is that I can do an internship in New York.

What are other good things??

New York is an awesome place to live. Maybe not the Pratt area in general, but there will never be a shortage of things to do in NYC.

I went to pratt. I was able to find work pretty soon after graduating. The thing with Pratt is, the program may not offer everything you need, but I found so many good resources in other departments that I made a good go of it. Ask me anything.

I went through Pratt’s ID program and graduated in '01. I’ve found that it did leave me well prepared for the professional world. It’s not as “fluffy” as some other programs, but it does instill the core competencies of industrial design. In any program, you get what you put into it. Take every opportunity to enhance your skills while in school.

To those who went to Pratt ID:
What is the general level of student work? In the ID department? In the school itself?
Are the students and teachers really engaged? Do discussions get going in class? Outside of class? Are students pushing on another? Pushing boundries? Are there a lot of slackers? I’ll be blunt…is it filled with smart people?

From going to various conferences and seeing portfolios from different schools, I would say it’s above average. I had professors that were really engaged. The only ones who were not, were the english profs because they knew the kids were focused on something else. Yes, there were meaningful disscussions in class.

As for the students, that’s where “you get what you put into it.” There were groups that were slackers and all they would do was party at the Alibi/Gardens an hangout on the lawn. Then there were students that basically lived in the studios. I was one of those kids and made life long friends from that experience. We would go out to eat hangout and talk about design. Those are the people you need to find in order to get the most out of the program.

I went to Pratt and will always have tons more good things than bad to say about it. There’s a staggering amount of talent in the student body and amongst the faculty. There’s also a lot of people who aren’t so good, and who aren’t so motivated. It really does come down to what you put out, who you surround yourself with, and bit of good luck here and there. Having New York City as your backyard for 4 years is also something you can’t get anywhere else.

Pratt was great, and the name helped me land a job, but the ID program is kind of divided. There are a few schools of thought that are competing against each other at any given time (rowena reed process vs. product process as an example). You gotta get over that and sort of relearn each teachers style of teaching, how they expect you to draw etc…

Really though all of that ended up helping me when it came time to present my portfolio in interviews, I had a really diverse portfolio with furniture, exhibit and product stuff in it. I learned how to deal with all sorts of people to win them over and compromise my personality and views to really listen to someone else’s point of view.

I would redo Pratt no question.

I have to preface my statement by saying that I went to Pratt, graduated in '07, and I can not emphasize enough how much I loved the ID program there. Needless to say my comments may be a bit biased.

Pratt is a great place for many reasons, but is important to know what you’re getting into. Pratt is for the most part, very artsy fartsy, I mean that in a good way, because it’s what I love about it, but you’re less likely to come out with a portfolio filled with sketches of cell phones and alias renderings, and more likely to have funky half functional half abstract projects that require a little bit of explaining. It is a school that really pushes exploration, mostly in 3D. In fact you’re forced to make so many 3D sketch models that I think a lot of times kids aren’t given enough time to finish their final models, which probably explains the low level of finish that people may see in recent grad portfolios. For that reason, if you coast, you’ll really be in trouble, because you won’t have much corporate friendly work to fall back on. The school prepared me just fine, and I accepted a full time position at Reebok a few months before graduating, a few of my close friends had the same deal, but with GM, so you can get corporate design jobs, but it is a very un-corporate school. It’s true that the department is always fighting itself, and that does sometimes hurt the students, but I think it prepares you for the real world.

The way they explain Three-Dimensional Abstraction is the school’s most valuable asset, in my opinion. It may seem goofy at first, but to have a command of form like some of the teachers have is totally invaluable, and once you learn it, it really never leaves you. It really helps to be able to justify exactly why something looks good or bad in non-subjective terms. The program raised my appreciation for design, but fine arts as well, with an emphasis on sculpture.

If any of this sounds appealing to you, I would say just get there, work really hard, surround yourself with people who have the same values and effort level as yourself, and you should get a lot out of the program.