Pratt BID vs. MID? Advice, Please??

Hi,

I already have my undergrad in marketing but really want to study industrial design. I thought about interaction design but didn’t want to just limit myself to computers and interfaces and coding isn’t my favorite thing to do.

I live and work part time in the NYC area so I started looking into Pratt but they recommend applying to the Grad program since I already have a degree. I have read plenty of these boards and the consensus suggests getting a Bachelors in ID first b/c a Masters doesn’t really go into the foundations, especially since the last art class I took was in high school. I read somewhere that there may be Grad prep classes at Pratt but I am going to be taking drawing classes at community college this fall to work on portfolio prep for my application.

Should I take the Grad prep classes and apply for the MID or stick with the cheaper drawing classes and apply for a BID? Also, can anyone recommend any other ID programs in the NY area? Or should I look into all those other ones like CCA, Art Center, University of Cincinatti, RISD etc? Cost, location, portfolio and internship opportunities are my biggest concerns…

Advice appreciated!!

welcome to Core,
thanks for doing your homework, there’s lots of opinions as you’ve discovered. Pratt is one exception to the grad school rules of thumb you mentioned. They’ve done a great job of creating a grad program tailored to career change.
it’s not for everyone, and it’s going to take a lot of commitment and focus but it’s one of the best options out there.

Thanks for the tip. After more thought/research, I’m leaning more towards the bachelor’s route because I feel a little ill-prepared when it comes to master’s degree-level portfolios without all of the undergrad art/design foundation work…

Get your Bachelors first and get the foundations. The only other ID program that I know of in NYC is Parsons - check it out.