Posting my folio with hangover.

Please say nice things only. I am very sensitive . :wink:

I still have a year to go, and this is first time I am showing my folio samples to core77 ppl.
I am so scare that some of you will hate me after seeing my works. LOL.
But who cares?

If you work in Shoe Design company and happend to looking for interns, keep me updated. Thanks all.

that napkin holder is hilarious :exclamation: was that his package?

Keep working on the sketches, everyday, sketch, then sketch some more. The fine art is nice, but you’ll have to stop drawing from pictures, and start sketching from your mind more, this will help your perspective. You’ll learn a lot if you get a good internship.

good luck.

NPK:

Thanks for posting, some good stuff. Nice variety of projects. I have a few pointers:

Page 1, ski boots:

The line work in these sketches looks good, def your best but the sketches look like they are dead on screen. I am assuming this is because they are scanned or photo’d poorly. Use the levels tool in photoshop to make them pop more. Also it looks like you are rendering the individual elements but the overal form could use som form. Sime white and black chalk (or a translucent airbrush in photoshop) could really make those pop more. I would work on the page layout as well, for all of the pages so they look more graphicly pleasing and hang together more, use that SVA graphics degree guy!

Page 2, driving shoe

Much better layout. Overall looks good man. I think it would be nice if one of the images had some real dominance over the page (like you did in your napkin holder page) the sketches are not as good as your ski boot sketches, mostly the heels look a bit out of proportion. Normaly the heel will rake inward a bit as it moves up. You got it in the rendering more.

Page 3, Nike

I like this layout more. You convey the concept and your skills with efficiency here. Nice clean informitive model shots, though they seem a bit washed out, they loose the form a bit. Good design, some real nice elements. Sketches look a bit week on this one though and I need to ding you on the swoosh shape.

Proper swooshage:

Page 4, Camera bag.

Nice layout, but again I think that a single image could be larger and the picture of David Hockney poaching in the corner scares me a bit. You don’t want this to look like the camera bag for the peeping tom who likes bright colors. Nice prototyping skills there.

Page 5, GoGo Bot

Love it. Good page, fun design.

Keep up the good work.

Cool driving shoes. How was the prototype made?

Thank you all for the great great advices. These are priceless, really.

For renderings, I really need to develop into more fast and sketch looking.
But all the images are from my head, and not from the photo. :slight_smile:

And most of them are quickly photographed except the napkin holder, which was done in photo studio. I will scan all of them and use more refined layout.
Thank you Yo for lot of great input. I needed someone to point out the mistakes at this point. Also I am glad you liked here and there in design.
I will make the changes, definitely.
Shame on me for the nike logo. Wow I didn’t know how different they are.
Mine’s so fat. LOL.

The shoes are carved from the foam and painted. Just like regular prototypes. I really didn’t know I had ability to carve like that crazy.
I used regular exacto knife and sharp pencil for the details.
The shoe was reviewed by Puma designers who visited our school sometime ago. A year later, they introduced pretty similar concept. No joke… Am I suppose to be sad or what?

David Hockney as Peeping Tom who likes the bright colors…LOL.
It make sense since lot of his paintings look like he used the camera to captured the scenary. Hmm…after I read you, I see him at the corner bit creepy also.

No problem. I’m glad you found a bit of my babbling usefull :wink:

A little swoosh history for you: It went something like this…

When the first Nike’s where being developed in Asia, the factory came back and asked what logo Bill Bowerman and Phil Knight wanted on the side of the shoes. They where focused on making the shoes fit and work better than European track shoes, and hadn’t realy thought about things like a logo. So they hired a graphic design student for $35 to design a logo that could be sewn on the side of a shoe (she wwas latter hooked up with tons of stock which probably made her a millionaire), be directional, and give the shoe some support through the collar. The student came up with what she called the “chubby check”, Phil wasn’t crazy about it, but said he could get used to it. The first Nikes came back from Asia and where sold out of the trunk of Phil’s car at track meets on the West Coast.

Origional swwosh:

I didn’t know original nike logo looked like that. It’s great story…
My friend who is working for a small ergonomic shoe co. just redesigned their logo. The president hired some Corporate Identity guys, but after the president saw my friend’s napkin sketches, they finally decided on his.
This is very inspiring.

I also have another question that inorder to understand shoes, just like you gave advice back ago, I am dissecting my old shoes these days.
I was wondering how much do I have to know about the pattern making of the shoes inorder to work as a shoe designer?
Do you sketch the outside and research the materials only, or do you make every single patterns that goes onto the shoes?

Good questions.

Cutting many different types of shoes apart is really a good way to learn about how they go together.

The resposablities of a footwear designer varry from place to place, and really from designer to designer.

I usually like to design as much as possible, down to the tag that says the shoe size. Most places wont have yo develop patterns. Bassicly I draw the outside and details of the inside and cross sections of the molded parts as they would look assembled. Then a pattern engineer develops the upper into a flat splayed pattern, and a tooling engineer develops the tooling 3d files. I will then correct their work to fit the origional vision. It takes a lot of practice to be able to adjust the upper and tooling independently while keeping the whole assembly in your mind.